Calculating Vitamin C Content in Orange Juice using Titration Method

I'll give it a try!In summary, the titration was performed with a volume of 20.00 mL of orange juice and 150mL of deionised water, resulting in a final diluted volume of 170 mL. The standard Iodine solution concentration was 0.005 mol L-1 and 26.2mL of Iodine was used. The equation used to calculate the amount of Ascorbic Acid present was (0.005*0.0262)*(170/20)*176.12*1000, resulting in a value of 196.10962 mg/100mL. The reaction equation used was C6H8O6 + I2 -> 2I-
jstretto

Homework Statement

Titration:
Volume of orange juice: 20.00 mL
Final diluted volume: orange juice + 150mL of deionised water: 170 mL
Standard Iodine solution concentration: 0.005 mol L-1
Amount of Iodine used: 26.2mL

Homework Equations

Is this equation right?

(Concentration of Iodine Solution * Volume of Iodine used) * (Diluted Volume/Volume of orange juice) * Mass of ascorbic acid * 1000 to get from g/100mL to mg/100mL

The Attempt at a Solution

(0.005*0.0262)*(170/20)*176.12*1000
[/B]

I feel like there might be something wrong with the equation I am using. Any help would be greatly appreciated

Physics news on Phys.org
Instead of using an "equation" why don't you try to just follow stoichiometry and dilution? That's the only sure method of doing every titration problem, no matter if you were given some equation to use, or not.

Start by writing the reaction equation.

You need to use concentration of Ascorbic Acid rather than mass, as you cannot mix up grammes and mols.
You also need an equals sign.
And you may need a factor like 2 or 3 somewhere which you will find from the chemical reaction formula. For instance,
H2SO4 + 2 NaOH = 2NaSO4 + 2H2O.

tech99 said:
You need to use concentration of Ascorbic Acid rather than mass

You are missing the point of the formula. Description is lousy, but the formula as given makes logical sense, especially taking into account fact the number used by OP (176.12) is a molar mass.

And you may need a factor like 2 or 3 somewhere which you will find from the chemical reaction formula.

Not exactly, there is also another factor that has to be taken into account, as the answer must be given per 100 mL.

I am quite new to this all, do you have any links/keywords I could google to try follow stochiometery and dilution.

I've got the reaction equation

C6H8O6 +I2 -> 2I- + C6H6O6

Thank you so much

1. What is Vitamin C and why is it important to determine its levels?

Vitamin C, also known as ascorbic acid, is a water-soluble vitamin that is essential for human health. It plays a crucial role in immune function, collagen production, wound healing, and the absorption of iron. Determining the levels of Vitamin C in foods and supplements can help individuals meet their recommended daily intake and prevent deficiencies.

2. How is Vitamin C measured or quantified?

Vitamin C can be measured through various methods, such as titration, spectrophotometry, and high-performance liquid chromatography (HPLC). These methods involve the use of chemical reactions or instruments to determine the concentration of Vitamin C in a sample.

3. What are the main sources of Vitamin C in our diet?

Fruits and vegetables, especially citrus fruits, are the main sources of Vitamin C in our diet. Other sources include leafy greens, tomatoes, peppers, and some fortified foods and beverages. Supplements are also a common source of Vitamin C.

4. How does cooking or processing affect the levels of Vitamin C in foods?

Vitamin C is a heat-sensitive vitamin, meaning it can be destroyed or reduced during cooking or processing. Boiling, steaming, and microwaving can cause significant losses of Vitamin C in foods. To retain the most Vitamin C, it is best to consume fruits and vegetables raw or cook them for a short period at low temperatures.

5. What are the consequences of Vitamin C deficiency or excess?

A deficiency in Vitamin C can lead to scurvy, a disease characterized by weakness, anemia, and bleeding gums. On the other hand, excess intake of Vitamin C is generally well tolerated, as the body can excrete any excess through urine. However, extremely high doses may cause digestive issues and interfere with certain medications.