Calculation for Finance and Loans

In summary, the task is to calculate the comparison rate of an offset loan with a loan amount of $735000, offset amount of $100000, original term length of 300 months, offset term length of 254 months, original repayments of $4228.50, and adjusted repayments of $4224.57. The total amount for the loan is $1,073,040.97. The equation for computing the comparison rate is to divide the total cost of the loan by the number of repayments and then use the adjusted repayments to solve for the new interest rate. There is some uncertainty about which value to use for the present value in the TVM solver, with options being $735000 and $635
Shakattack12

Homework Statement

We are asked to calculate the comparison rate of an offset loan.
Loan amount = $735000
Offset amount = $100000
Original term length = 300 months
Offset term length = 254 months
Original repayments = $4228.50
Adjusted Repayments (for comparison rate) = $4224.57
Total amount = $1 073 040.97 - please help with this too

I want to double check that I got the total amount correct (see below for calculations)

Homework Equations

We have been asked to compute the comparison rate like this:
1. total cost of loan/number of repayments
2. Use adjusted repayments to solve for new interest rate (using calculator)

The Attempt at a Solution

So I have computed all the above information correctly. however, I am unsure of which value to call the present value of the loan in the TVM solver.
Using PV = 735000, comparison rate = 3.82%pa
Using PV = 635000, comparison rate = 5.46%pa
Which version do I use?

Edit
For total cost:
C = Interest + account fees
= 1 069 825.97 + 3215
= 1 073 040.97
*Do I need to add back the offset amount or not?*

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I know that an offset loan allows a person to link a savings account to the loan, then the interest is calculated on the difference between the loan principal balance and the amount of the savings account. I am not sure what happens when the loan balance becomes less than the amount in the savings account, though.

1. How do I calculate my monthly loan payment?

To calculate your monthly loan payment, you will need the loan amount, interest rate, and loan term. The formula for calculating monthly loan payments is: (loan amount * interest rate) / (1 - (1 + interest rate)^(-loan term in months)). This will give you the total amount you need to pay each month to repay the loan within the specified loan term.

2. What is the difference between simple interest and compound interest?

Simple interest is calculated based on the original loan amount, while compound interest is calculated based on the loan amount plus any accumulated interest. This means that with compound interest, your interest will increase over time, making your loan payments higher. Simple interest, on the other hand, stays the same throughout the loan term.

3. How can I calculate the total cost of a loan?

To calculate the total cost of a loan, you will need to multiply the monthly payment by the total number of payments. For example, if your monthly payment is $500 and you will make 60 payments over the course of 5 years, the total cost of your loan will be $30,000.

4. What is an amortization schedule and how can I use it?

An amortization schedule is a table that shows the breakdown of each loan payment, including the amount of interest and principal being paid. This schedule can be used to track your loan payments and see how much of each payment is going towards the principal balance.

5. How does my credit score affect my interest rate for a loan?

Your credit score is a major factor in determining your interest rate for a loan. Generally, the higher your credit score, the lower your interest rate will be. This is because lenders view borrowers with higher credit scores as less risky and are more likely to offer them lower interest rates.