Calculation of % component of resultant force

In summary, the question is asking if it is possible to describe a vector in terms of percentage contributions of its x, y, and z components. However, this is not possible because a vector is not a number and cannot be divided or expressed as a percentage. The concept of percentage can only be applied to the lengths of the vector's components, not the vector itself.
soundproof
Hi everyone,
This appears to be a trivial question but I'm uncertain to the correct answer.

If I have forces of 3N, 4N and 5N in the x,y and z directions respectively. The resultant force will be the square root of these components squared ≈ 7N. If I want to describe any of the components as a % of the resultant force, how is this done?

I have seen in a journal paper that from my example the z-component of the force is calculated as 71.4% (5/7*100) of the resultant force, while the y-component was 57% of the resultant force. The addition of these percentages is greater than 100% so this cannot be true.

If I calculate the z-component as a % of the resultant force by dividing the squares of each number (5^2/7^2*100), then the addition of each % component sums up to be 100% (x - 18%, y - 32%,z - 51%). Is this method correct and if so can someone explain to me why it is necessary to square both vectors.

Thank you

Mathematics news on Phys.org
welcome to pf!

hi soundproof! welcome to pf! :smile:
soundproof said:
If I want to describe any of the components as a % of the resultant force, how is this done?

this seems a pretty crazy idea to me

what would be the point? :confused:

anyway … you have |F| ~ 7, F.i = 3, F.j = 4, F.k = 5

32 + 42 + 52 ~ 72,

so of course (3/7)2 + (4/7)2 + (5/7)2 ~ 1 :wink:

soundproof said:
Hi everyone,
This appears to be a trivial question but I'm uncertain to the correct answer.

If I have forces of 3N, 4N and 5N in the x,y and z directions respectively. The resultant force will be the square root of
the sum of
these components squared ≈ 7N. If I want to describe any of the components as a % of the resultant force, how is this done?
The magnitude of the resultant force will be [itex]\sqrt{9+ 16+ 25}= \sqrt{50}= 5\sqrt{2}[/itex] which is, yes, about 7.
So the x component is about 3/7= 0.429... or about 43% of the whole, the y component is about 4/7= 0.571... or about 57% of the whole, and the z component is about 5/7= 0.714 or about 71% of the whole.

I have seen in a journal paper that from my example the z-component of the force is calculated as 71.4% (5/7*100) of the resultant force, while the y-component was 57% of the resultant force. The addition of these percentages is greater than 100% so this cannot be true.
You are reading a journal paper and cannot do basic arithmetic?? Of course, the percentages do not add to 100%, they are not numbers, they are vector components:
[itex]\sqrt{(.42)^2+(.57)^2+(.71)^2}= 1[/itex] instead.

If I calculate the z-component as a % of the resultant force by dividing the squares of each number (5^2/7^2*100), then the addition of each % component sums up to be 100% (x - 18%, y - 32%,z - 51%). Is this method correct and if so can someone explain to me why it is necessary to square both vectors.

Thank you
You cannot find a "percentage" of a vector because a vector is not a number. What you are doing is finding percentages of lengths of vectors. And the length of a vector is, by definition, the square root of the squares of the components.

Thank you for your replies.

Just to clarify regarding this statement -
You cannot find a "percentage" of a vector because a vector is not a number.

So, it is not correct/possible to describe a vector in terms of % contributions of x, y and z components? And this is because I am trying to relate a length/scalar to a vector?

soundproof said:
So, it is not correct/possible to describe a vector in terms of % contributions of x, y and z components?

you can describe anything you like, but if you want the percentages to add to 100, it's difficult to see how it could be of any practical applicaton

(we can define the efficiency of a force …

if we want something to move horizontally, but we pull on it with a rope at an angle, then the efficiency would be the horizontal component divided by the whole force)​

Related to Calculation of % component of resultant force

1. What is the formula for calculating the % component of resultant force?

The formula for calculating the % component of resultant force is: % component = (component force / resultant force) x 100%

2. How do you determine the component force in a given system?

The component force can be determined by breaking down the resultant force into its horizontal and vertical components using trigonometry. The component force can then be calculated using the respective equations for the horizontal and vertical components.

3. What is the purpose of calculating the % component of resultant force?

The % component of resultant force helps in understanding the contribution of individual forces in a system towards the overall resultant force. This information is useful in analyzing the stability and equilibrium of the system.

4. Can the % component of resultant force be negative?

Yes, the % component of resultant force can be negative. This happens when the component force is acting in the opposite direction of the resultant force, resulting in a negative value for the % component.

5. How is the % component of resultant force used in real-world applications?

The % component of resultant force has various applications in fields such as engineering, physics, and biomechanics. It is used to analyze the forces acting on structures, to determine the stability of structures, and to analyze the motion of objects in a system.