Calculations involving acids and bases

In summary, the conversation is about finding the volume of two solutions with known concentrations and pH in order to determine the Ka value for acetic acid. The participant has attempted to solve the problem using the Henderson-Hasselbalch equation but is unsure if they are on the right track.
sergey_le
Summary:: finding ml of two solutions by the final pH

i have a NaOAc 0.1M and HOAc 0.1M , together the volume of the solutions is 20ml and the pH is 4. I need to find the volume of each solution.
I've tried to solve it for hours with no successes. i found the H+ concentration (-log(h)=4 ), it is 1*10^-4 M so in a 20 ml solution we got 2*10 ^-6 mol but I don't know what to do next. find the ka?

[Moderator's note: Moved from a technical forum and thus no template.]

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
yes, you need the Ka, the acid dissociation constant of acetic acid. You have to look its numerical value up, there is no way to work it out. You may more likely find quoted not Ka but pKa, and you have to know what that means. Also look up 'Henderson Hasselbalch equation'.

Last edited:
epenguin said:
yes, you need the Ka, the acid dissociation constant of acetic acid. You have to look its numerical value up, there is no way to work it out. You may more likely find quoted not Ka but pKa, and you have to know what that means. Also look up 'Henderson Hasselbalch equation'.
i found the pka=4.8 so the ka is 1.58*10^-5.
i guess the big issue i have is understanding what equation i should use. i attached what idid so far ,can you give it a look and tell me where i am wrong?

Attachments

• prb.pdf
    377 KB · Views: 272
I was unable to open your attachment. However please realize this is very elementary theory covered in thousands of books or sites (and the most frequent subject of problems in this forum section) though if you can work it out yourself that is still better.

Google Henderson-Hasselbalch equation (although it is just a rearranged Ka definition).

1. How do you calculate the pH of an acid or base?

The pH of an acid or base can be calculated using the formula pH = -log[H+], where [H+] represents the concentration of hydrogen ions in the solution. Alternatively, you can use the formula pH = 14 - pOH, where pOH is the negative log of the hydroxide ion concentration.

2. What is the difference between strong and weak acids/bases?

Strong acids and bases completely dissociate in water, meaning they release all of their hydrogen or hydroxide ions. Weak acids and bases only partially dissociate, resulting in a lower concentration of ions in the solution.

3. How do you calculate the concentration of an acid or base?

The concentration of an acid or base can be calculated using the formula M1V1 = M2V2, where M1 is the initial molarity, V1 is the initial volume, M2 is the final molarity, and V2 is the final volume.

4. What is the difference between titration and neutralization?

Titration is a process used to determine the concentration of an acid or base by adding a known amount of a solution with a known concentration to the solution being tested. Neutralization is a chemical reaction between an acid and a base that results in the formation of a salt and water.

5. How do buffers affect calculations involving acids and bases?

Buffers are solutions that resist changes in pH when small amounts of acid or base are added. They affect calculations involving acids and bases by maintaining a relatively constant pH, which can alter the concentrations of hydrogen and hydroxide ions in the solution.