Calculations with tensors in modern notation

In summary, the conversation discusses a book recommendation for learning about tensors in modern notation, with one person suggesting looking at a textbook written by @Orodruin and another recommending "The Geometry of Physics" by Frankel. The conversation also delves into the differences between the mathematicians' approach to tensor analysis using differential forms and the physicists' approach using Ricci calculus. The advantages and disadvantages of each approach are briefly discussed.
Frabjous
Gold Member
Is there a book that emphasizes performing calculations with tensors in modern notation?

Likes etotheipi
Physics news on Phys.org
Have you looked through the textbook written by @Orodruin yet? It has a nice chapter on tensors, as well as lots of other good subjects and treatments. Check out his Insights article about writing it:

https://www.physicsforums.com/insights/the-birth-of-a-textbook/

You can use the "Look Inside" feature at Amazon to check out the Table of Contents:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/113805688X/?tag=pfamazon01-20

1606682356387.png

Likes vanhees71, PhDeezNutz, Frabjous and 1 other person
How do you define modern notation?

How Socratic. I actually do not know. I have an index intensive understanding and am looking for something more. I am guessing it is a modern formulation of differential geometry, but I do not know for sure. I am an applied sort of person, so I am more interested in learning how to do calculations than in proofs.

caz said:
How Socratic. I actually do not know. I have an index intensive understanding and am looking for something more. I am guessing it is a modern formulation of differential geometry, but I do not know for sure. I am an applied sort of person, so I am more interested in learning how to do calculations than in proofs.

I am not sure what will work for you, but maybe the first few chapters of "The Geometry of Physics" by Frankel.

Likes vanhees71 and Frabjous
Well, that's my question too. The modern approach to tensor analysis is through Cartan theory, i.e., using (differential alternating) forms and coordinate free formulations, while physicists usually use the Ricci calculus using components and upper and lower indices. I'd say, both have their advantages and disadvantages. I'd say using the mathematicians' representation free formulations has advantages as far as formal developments are concerned (e.g., there is basically only one integral theorem, the Stokes's theorem for differential forms of arbitrary rank) and also some calculational tasks are simplified (e.g., when calculating the curvature tensor in GR; see Misner, Thorne, Wheeler), while the Ricci calculus just deals with the components and thus real functions so that you can use standard calculus.

Likes Frabjous, etotheipi and PhDeezNutz

1. What are tensors and why are they important in modern notation?

Tensors are mathematical objects that describe the relationships between different physical quantities. They are important in modern notation because they allow for more efficient and elegant calculations in fields such as physics, engineering, and computer science.

2. How are tensors represented in modern notation?

In modern notation, tensors are represented using index notation, where each index represents a specific direction or component. This allows for easier manipulation and calculation of tensor quantities.

3. What are some common operations that can be performed with tensors in modern notation?

Some common operations that can be performed with tensors in modern notation include addition, multiplication, contraction, and transformation. These operations allow for the manipulation and transformation of tensor quantities to solve various problems.

4. Can tensors be used in different dimensions?

Yes, tensors can be used in any number of dimensions. In fact, tensors are often used to describe physical quantities in higher dimensions, such as in the study of relativity and quantum mechanics.

5. How are tensors used in machine learning and data analysis?

Tensors are used in machine learning and data analysis to represent and manipulate large datasets. They allow for efficient processing and analysis of complex data, making them essential in these fields.