Calculus I - Relative Growth Rate help

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the relative growth rate at specific values of x for a given function. The formula for relative growth rate is f'(x)/f(x). The function given is P(x) = 5 + 10e^-0.025x and P'(x) = -0.25e^-0.025x. To find the relative growth rate at x = 11 and x = 21, the values of x are plugged into the functions and the results are calculated using a calculator. The correct answers for P'(11)/P(11) and P'(21)/P(21) are approximately -0.0027 and -0.0013, respectively. The conversation also mentions
Orcrin12
Here is a picture of the problem:

View attachment 8528

I am firmly stuck on part b). I know that relative growth rate is defined at f'(x)/f(x), but I cannot seem to come up with the right answer. I've tried everything I could conceivably think of. I do not understand why my answer is incorrect, unless I'm completely missing something.

The answers you see in the box are my values for P'(11)/P(11) and P'(21)/P(21). They are wrong.

I have P'(x) = (18.75e^-0.025x)/(5+10e^-0.025x)^2

Please help!

Attachments

• mhb_0006.png
    mhb_0006.png
    12.7 KB · Views: 74
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org

Hello there,

I understand your struggle with part b) of this problem. Let me try to help you out.

First of all, you are correct in your understanding of the relative growth rate formula: f'(x)/f(x). However, in this case, the function P(x) is given to you as P(x) = 5 + 10e^-0.025x. This means that P'(x) = -0.25e^-0.025x.

Now, to find the relative growth rate at x = 11, we need to plug in the value of x = 11 into both P'(x) and P(x). This gives us P'(11) = -0.25e^-0.275 and P(11) = 5 + 10e^-0.275.

Therefore, the relative growth rate at x = 11 is (-0.25e^-0.275)/(5 + 10e^-0.275). Using a calculator, this comes out to be approximately -0.0027.

Similarly, to find the relative growth rate at x = 21, we plug in x = 21 into P'(x) and P(x). This gives us P'(21) = -0.25e^-0.525 and P(21) = 5 + 10e^-0.525.

Therefore, the relative growth rate at x = 21 is (-0.25e^-0.525)/(5 + 10e^-0.525). Using a calculator, this comes out to be approximately -0.0013.

I hope this helps you understand where you went wrong. Always remember to plug in the specific values of x into the functions before calculating the relative growth rate.

Best of luck with your studies!
Scientist

1. What is Calculus I - Relative Growth Rate?

Calculus I - Relative Growth Rate is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of change and motion. It involves analyzing the rate of change of a variable with respect to another variable, and is used to solve real-world problems such as predicting population growth or the decay of radioactive substances.

2. What is the importance of understanding Relative Growth Rate?

Understanding Relative Growth Rate is essential in many fields, including economics, physics, biology, and engineering. It allows us to model and predict the behavior of complex systems, and make informed decisions based on data and trends.

3. How is Relative Growth Rate different from other types of growth rates?

Relative Growth Rate is specifically concerned with the relationship between two variables, whereas other types of growth rates may only consider one variable. It also takes into account the rate of change over time, rather than just the final value.

4. What are some common applications of Relative Growth Rate?

Relative Growth Rate is commonly used in fields such as finance, where it can be used to calculate compound interest and predict investment growth. It is also used in biology to study population growth, and in physics to understand the behavior of moving objects.

5. How can I improve my understanding of Relative Growth Rate?

To improve your understanding of Relative Growth Rate, it is important to have a strong foundation in basic calculus principles such as derivatives and integrals. Practice problems and real-world applications can also help solidify your understanding. Additionally, seeking out a tutor or joining a study group can provide additional support and clarification.