Calculus of variations on odd dimensional manifolds

In summary, this formulas uses a different formalism than the traditional calculus of variations and it is unclear to me what the connection between the two is.
mma
I saw a nice formulation of the variation on odd dimensional manifolds in the paper of http://arxiv.org/abs/math-ph/0401046" :

angenent4-5.png

The referenced book of Arnold uses completely different formalism than this.
I don't see clearly the connection between the traditional calculus of variations and this formulas (for example, where are the boundary conditions here ? Why only closed curves are considered?). Could somebody offer a book or other resource that uses the same formalism for the calculus of variations?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I'd like to prove that

[tex]\int_\gamma{\iota_Xd\theta}=\left.{\frac{dA(\gamma_t)}{dt}}\right |_{t=0}[/tex]​

where [tex]\gamma_t[/tex] is a curve flowed by [tex] t[/tex] in the flow generated by [tex] X[/tex], that is,

[tex] \gamma_t(\tau) = \Phi_X(\gamma(\tau),t)[/tex]​

where [tex] \Phi_X: M\times \mathbb{R} \to M[/tex] is the flow generated by the vector field [tex] X[/tex], that is [tex]t \mapsto \Phi(p,t)[/tex] is the integrel curve of [tex]X[/tex] passing through the point [tex]p\in M[/tex].

But I have no idea how to prove this.

Any hint would be appreciated.

In an [tex] \{x_1,x_2,...,x_n\}[/tex] coordinate chart,the LHS is:

[tex] \int_\gamma{\iota_Xd\theta}= \int_0^1 d\theta(X(\gamma(\tau)),\gamma'(\tau))d\tau =\int_0^1 \sum_{i,j}\frac{\partial\theta_j}{\partial x_i}(X_i(\gamma(\tau))\gamma'_j(\tau)-X_j(\gamma(\tau))\gamma'_i(\tau)) d\tau[/tex]​

,the RHS is:

[tex] \left.\frac{d}{dt}\right |_{t=0}\int_{\gamma(t)}\theta =\int_0^1\sum_i\left.\frac{d}{dt}\right |_{t=0}\theta_i(\Phi(\gamma(\tau),t)\gamma'_i(\tau) d\tau[/tex]​

Why are they equal?

mma said:
I'd like to prove that

[tex]\int_\gamma{\iota_Xd\theta}=\left.{\frac{dA(\gamma_t)}{dt}}\right |_{t=0}[/tex]​

where [tex]\gamma_t[/tex] is a curve flowed by [tex] t[/tex] in the flow generated by [tex] X[/tex], that is,

[tex] \gamma_t(\tau) = \Phi_X(\gamma(\tau),t)[/tex]​

where [tex] \Phi_X: M\times \mathbb{R} \to M[/tex] is the flow generated by the vector field [tex] X[/tex], that is [tex]t \mapsto \Phi(p,t)[/tex] is the integrel curve of [tex]X[/tex] passing through the point [tex]p\in M[/tex].
The proof seems quite simple if we consider only open curves (i.e. having [tex] \gamma(0) \neq \gamma(1)[/tex]) and require that [tex] X(\gamma(0))=X(\gamma(1))=0[/tex].

In this case, according Stokes' theorem,
[tex] A(\gamma_t) - A(\gamma) = \int_{\gamma_t}\theta - \int_{\gamma}\theta=\oint_{\gamma_t-\gamma}\theta = \int_{S_t}d\theta[/tex]​
,where [tex] S_t[/tex] is a 2-dimensional surface streched on [tex] \gamma_t-\gamma[/tex], in other words, having boundary [tex] \partial S_t = \gamma_t-\gamma[/tex].

On [tex] S_t[/tex] we can introduce a coordinate chart
[tex] (\xi,\eta) \mapsto \Phi_X(\gamma(\xi),\eta) = \gamma_\eta(\xi)[/tex]​
,hence
[tex] \int_{S_t}d\theta=\int_0^t\int_0^1 \, d\theta(\gamma_\eta '(\xi),X(\gamma_\eta(\xi))\, d\xi\,d\eta[/tex]​

,so

[tex] \left.{\frac{dA(\gamma_t)}{dt}}\right |_{t=0} =\left.\frac{d}{dt}\right |_{t=0}\int_{S_t}d\theta=\int_0^1 \, d\theta(\gamma '(\xi),X(\gamma(\xi))\, d\xi=\int_\gamma{\iota_Xd\theta}[/tex]

Am I right?

Related to Calculus of variations on odd dimensional manifolds

1. What is the calculus of variations?

The calculus of variations is a branch of mathematics that deals with finding the optimal solution to a mathematical function, given certain constraints. It is often used to solve problems in physics, engineering, and economics.

2. What are odd dimensional manifolds?

An odd dimensional manifold is a mathematical space that has a non-integer number of dimensions. It is characterized by having an odd number of coordinates or directions in which the space can be extended.

3. How is the calculus of variations applied to odd dimensional manifolds?

The calculus of variations is used to find the optimal solution to a function defined on an odd dimensional manifold, subject to certain constraints. It involves finding the critical points of the function, which are points where the derivative is equal to zero, and then determining which of these points corresponds to the optimal solution.

4. What are some real-world applications of calculus of variations on odd dimensional manifolds?

Calculus of variations on odd dimensional manifolds has many applications in physics and engineering, such as optimizing the shape of a spacecraft's heat shield, minimizing energy consumption in a mechanical system, and determining the optimal path for a particle in a gravitational field.

5. What are the challenges of working with odd dimensional manifolds in the calculus of variations?

One of the main challenges of working with odd dimensional manifolds in the calculus of variations is that the mathematical calculations can become more complex as the number of dimensions increases. Additionally, there may be limitations on the types of functions that can be defined on an odd dimensional manifold, which can make finding the optimal solution more difficult.