Camera Flash Pop Sound: What Causes It?

In summary, The popping sound when an external camera flash is fired is caused by the charging and discharging of circuit elements, creating mechanical vibrations. Additionally, the whistling noise when the flash is charging is due to magnetostriction and LC resonance. The loudness of the pop when firing the flash may be related to the energy being released. This is similar to the supersonic shock waves produced by the electrical arc in a flashtube and the thermal expansion of plasma in a lightning channel, which both create the sound of thunder. So, the pop sound can be seen as a miniature version of thunder.
CodyW
Hi everyone,

I was wondering if anyone knew what causes the popping sound when an external camera flash is fired?

Kind regards
Cody

Physics news on Phys.org
An interesting question. I found several possibly answers here: http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=2014008

In particular, it seems that the charging/discharging of the circuit elements creates mechanical vibrations which can manifest as pops, whistles, and hums.

The whistling / high pitch noise when the camera flash is charging up is caused by magnetostriction on the inductor of the flyback converter in the flashes circuitry. I think possibly the LC resonance may play a part as well. :)

The pop sound when the flash is fired, I've noticed, gets louder as I put my hand up close to the end of the flash. Would it have something to do with the energy coming out of the flash?

Sorry for the poorly written post. I've had close to no sleep haha.

I don't know how far of a parallel can be drawn, but reading wiki articles for both flashtubes and thunder, each mention supersonic shock waves related to rapid thermal expansion of plasma produced by the electric arc.

Flashtube: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flashtube
Thunder: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thunder

Flashtube:
Flashtubes produce an electrical arc flash contained in a glass tube. As the arc develops a supersonic shock-wave forms, traveling radially from the center of the arc and impacting the inner wall of the tube.

Thunder:
In the 20th century a consensus evolved that thunder must begin with a shock wave in the air due to the sudden thermal expansion of the plasma in the lightning channel.

I can provide some insight into the cause of the popping sound when an external camera flash is fired. The sound is actually a mini-explosion caused by the flash's capacitor discharging a large amount of electrical energy in a short amount of time. This discharge creates a sudden burst of heat and pressure, which results in the popping sound. Additionally, the sound can also be attributed to the rapid expansion of air molecules in the flash's bulb as it is ignited. This phenomenon is similar to the sound produced by a balloon popping. I hope this helps to answer your question.

1. What exactly causes the "pop" sound when a camera flash goes off?

The "pop" sound produced by a camera flash is caused by the rapid heating and expansion of the air around the flash tube. When the flash is triggered, a high voltage current passes through the flash tube, causing it to become extremely hot in a fraction of a second. This sudden increase in temperature causes the surrounding air to expand rapidly, creating a small sonic boom that we perceive as the "pop" sound.

2. Is the "pop" sound harmful to the camera or its components?

No, the "pop" sound produced by a camera flash is not harmful to the camera or its components. The flash tube is designed to withstand the sudden increase in temperature and the sound produced is not powerful enough to cause any damage.

3. Why do some camera flashes produce a louder "pop" sound than others?

The loudness of the "pop" sound can vary depending on the design and power of the camera flash. A larger, more powerful flash will produce a louder sound as it requires more energy to trigger the flash tube. Additionally, the acoustics of the environment can also affect the perceived loudness of the sound.

4. Can the "pop" sound be reduced or eliminated?

While it is not possible to completely eliminate the "pop" sound, some camera manufacturers have implemented technologies to reduce the perceived sound. This can include using materials that absorb sound or designing the flash tube to produce a different sound frequency that is less noticeable to the human ear.

5. Is the "pop" sound necessary for the flash to work?

Yes, the "pop" sound is an essential part of the flash's functionality. It indicates that the flash has been triggered and that the flash tube has reached its peak intensity, ensuring a properly exposed photo. However, some cameras do offer the option to turn off the sound if desired.