Can 16 Players Have 6 Partners Each in a Circular Interaction?

• MHB
  • Thread starter Aavar
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Prediction
In summary, the conversation is discussing an activity where 16 players are involved and each player has interactions with 6 others - 3 on their plus side and 3 on their minus side. The question is whether the number of players is enough for each player to have 6 partners. The conversation also includes an example of how the interactions could be organized and the possibility of needing more players. There is also a clarification about the concept of "plus side" and "minus side" and a suggestion to visualize the interactions as a circle. The minimum number of players needed is 7 and in that case, every person interacts with every other person.
Aavar
Hello all! For an activity I'm organizing, I have about 16 players. Each player have interaction with 6 others - 3 which on his plus side, 3 which on his minus side (he can't have a partner that's on both sides).
Basically, what I'd love to know is if the number matches and in the end each player would have 6 partners. I have no real knowledge on math, so I'm sorry if it's a dumb or obvious question. I tried arranging that with tables, thinking that it would probably need 18 players, but I always seem to need more players, to a never ending amount.

Just to clarify, I'm talking about something like that:
Let's look at the 7 first players: Matt, Andrew, Beth, Robb, Zoey, Sean and Daisy. Another note, the 1st player could have interaction with all of the others, potentially, including even the 16th player. I just write it as a follow up for your convenient.

Matt
Plus side: Andrew, Beth, Robb.
Minus Side: Zoey, Sean, Daisy.

Andrew
Plus side: Matt (predetermined because it was decided on Matt's list), Beth, Robb.
Minus side: Zoey, Sean, Daisy.

Beth:
Plus: Matt, Andrew (predetermined), Robb.
Minus: Zoey, Sean, Daisy.

Now we've reached a point where Zoey, Sean and Daisy (Numbers 5, 6 and 7) has no more people on their minus side, so we have to "jump" with Robb to numbers 8, 9 and 10 to continue the count.

Robb:
Plus: Matt, Andrew, Beth (predetermined).
Minus: N8, N9, N10.

When we reach Zoey (N5), her plus side is open, so we can still use N8, N9 and N10 (either on the plus or minus side, both are alright as it's still open).

Zoey:
Plus: N8, N9, N10 OR N11, N12, N13.
Minus: Matt, Andrew, Beth (predetermined).

And so on...
So, I hoped I made myself clear, as English is not my native language. Will every player have 6 others (3 plus, 3 minus) or do I need to add/subtract players?

Thank you so much ahead,
Thijs :)

Mathematics news on Phys.org
I'm not clear what you mean by "on his plus side" and "on his minus side". Are you thinking of the players as ordered along a line? But then what about those that are less than three players from an end of the line? In what you write you seem to be saying that you will "jump" to the other end of the line. If that is correct then you might find it better to visualize this as people standing in a circle, all facing inward and "interacting" with three on their left and three on their right. In that case the minimum number of people you need is 7 and in that case every person "interacts" with every other person.

1. What is the "16 Players Prediction Problem"?

The "16 Players Prediction Problem" is a mathematical problem that involves predicting the outcome of a tournament with 16 players. It has been studied in fields such as game theory and artificial intelligence.

2. What makes the "16 Players Prediction Problem" challenging?

The "16 Players Prediction Problem" is challenging because it involves predicting the outcome of a complex system with many interacting variables. The 16 players can have different skill levels, strategies, and potential outcomes, making it difficult to accurately predict the outcome of the tournament.

3. How do scientists approach the "16 Players Prediction Problem"?

Scientists approach the "16 Players Prediction Problem" by using mathematical models, game theory, and artificial intelligence techniques. They also conduct experiments and simulations to test different strategies and analyze the results to improve their predictions.

4. What are some potential applications of the "16 Players Prediction Problem"?

The "16 Players Prediction Problem" has potential applications in various fields, including sports, economics, and politics. It can help predict the outcome of tournaments, elections, and market trends, providing valuable insights for decision-making.

5. What are some current research efforts related to the "16 Players Prediction Problem"?

Current research efforts related to the "16 Players Prediction Problem" include developing more accurate predictive models, incorporating machine learning and artificial intelligence techniques, and exploring the problem in different contexts, such as team competitions or different tournament formats.

Back