Can a Circular Function with Complex Variable Represent a 3D Graph?

In summary, the conversation discusses the representation of a circular function with complex variables as a 3-dimensional graph and its connection to the rotation of a sphere. It also touches on the relationship between hyperbolic and circular functions and their 90° rotation, as well as the use of complex numbers to simplify rotations in the complex plane. The conversation also mentions the concept of holomorphic functions and the Cauchy-Riemann equations in complex analysis.
Leo Authersh
Does a circular function with complex variable represent a three-dimensional graph?

For example cosiz

Mathematics news on Phys.org
The definition of [itex]\cos(w) [/itex] with w complex is [itex] \cos(w)=\frac{e^{i\cdot w}+e^{-i\cdot w}}{2}[/itex]. Substitute [itex] w=i\cdot z[/itex] and you get [itex] \cos(i\cdot z)=\frac{e^{i\cdot (i\cdot z)}+e^{-i\cdot (i\cdot z)}}{2}=\frac{e^{-z}+e^{z}}{2}[/itex]. Looks familiar?

Likes Leo Authersh
I have read that 'i' represent the rotation of a sphere. And I have understood that similar to a two dimensional function which forms a quadratic equation, the rotation of sphere along its three dimensional axis will form a cubic equation whose roots contain complex numbers. And my question is that does a hyperbolic function that contains complex variable represent a 3-dimensional geometry in the same way a circular function represent a 2-dimensional geometry?

Leo Authersh said:
I have read that 'i' represent the rotation of a sphere.
Well, no. It represents a 90° rotation of the coordinate system.
Leo Authersh said:
And I have understood that similar to a two dimensional function which forms a quadratic equation, the rotation of sphere along its three dimensional axis will form a cubic equation whose roots contain complex numbers.
I have absolutely no idea of what this means.
Leo Authersh said:
And my question is that does a hyperbolic function that contains complex variable represent a 3-dimensional geometry in the same way a circular function represent a 2-dimensional geometry?
As I demonstrated above, the hyperbolic and circular functions are just a 90° rotation away from each other. You can combine them in different fashions, for example (assuming z=x+iy): [itex] \vert \cos(z) \vert ^{2}=\sinh(y)^{2}+\cos(x)^{2}=\cosh(y)^{2}-\sin(x)^{2}=\frac{1}{2}(\cosh(2y)+\cos(2x))[/itex]

Svein said:
Well, no. It represents a 90° rotation of the coordinate system.
I have absolutely no idea of what this means.
As I demonstrated above, the hyperbolic and circular functions are just a 90° rotation away from each other. You can combine them in different fashions, for example (assuming z=x+iy): [itex] \vert \cos(z) \vert ^{2}=\sinh(y)^{2}+\cos(x)^{2}=\cosh(y)^{2}-\sin(x)^{2}=\frac{1}{2}(\cosh(2y)+\cos(2x))[/itex]
Can you clarify me around which axis the coordinate system is rotated 90°? Is the rotation happening alongside a different dimension than the xyz dimension?

Leo Authersh said:
Can you clarify me around which axis the coordinate system is rotated 90°? Is the rotation happening alongside a different dimension than the xyz dimension?
Forget the "xyz dimension". The complex plane is a plane, with the real axis corresponding to the "x-axis" and the imaginary axis corresponding to the "y-axis". As you know, it is no problem to rotate the real "xy-plane" 90° without messing around with any third axis. You can describe it as x→y; y→-x or use a rotation matrix: [itex]
\begin{pmatrix}
0 & 1 \\
-1 & 0 \\
\end{pmatrix}
[/itex].
Now: the complex plane has its own version of these rules, making rotations very simple. A rotation with an angle of φ corresponds to a multiplication with [itex] e^{i\varphi}[/itex]. Thus, rotating 90° (which in math term is π/2) means multiplying with [itex] e^{i\frac{\pi}{2}}[/itex]. But as [itex] e^{i\frac{\pi}{2}}=i[/itex], multiplying with i is equivalent with a 90° rotation.

Any ##f:\mathbb{C} \to \mathbb{C}## represents a 2d vector to another 2d vector, so the graph of any such function would be represented by four dimensions.

Last edited:
Likes Leo Authersh and FactChecker
z = x+iy has two real dimensions (x,y) and cos( iz ) = u(iz) + iv(iz) also has two real dimensions (u,v). So it can be considered a two closely related 3-dimensional graphs. One is the graph of u as a function of (x,y) and the other is a graph of v as a function of (x,y).

In studying complex analysis, you will learn that since cos( iz ) is a holomorphic function, u and v are called harmonic functions and are related to each other by the Cauchy-Riemann equations: ∂u/∂x = ∂v/∂y; ∂u/∂y = -∂v/∂x.

Likes Leo Authersh

1. What are circular functions?

Circular functions are mathematical functions that are defined in terms of the unit circle. They are commonly used to describe the relationships between angles and sides in a right triangle.

2. What are the most common circular functions?

The most common circular functions are sine, cosine, and tangent. These functions are commonly abbreviated as sin, cos, and tan, respectively.

3. What is the unit circle and how is it related to circular functions?

The unit circle is a circle with a radius of 1, centered at the origin on a coordinate plane. It is used to define the values of sine and cosine for any given angle. The x-coordinate of a point on the unit circle is equal to the cosine of the corresponding angle, while the y-coordinate is equal to the sine of the angle.

4. What is the difference between sine and cosine?

Sine and cosine are both circular functions, but they differ in the way they relate angles to the sides of a right triangle. Sine is equal to the ratio of the length of the side opposite an angle to the length of the hypotenuse, while cosine is equal to the ratio of the length of the adjacent side to the length of the hypotenuse.

5. How are circular functions used in real life?

Circular functions are used in many real-life applications, such as engineering, physics, and astronomy. They are also used in music and sound engineering to describe the vibrations of sound waves. Additionally, circular functions are used in navigation and mapping to calculate distances and angles between different points on the Earth's surface.