Can a constant stream of electrons create an impenetrable 'wall'?

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of an "electron wall" and the closest distance between two electrons before repulsion occurs. It is concluded that while a wall made solely of electrons is not possible due to repulsion, it may be possible to create a machine that continuously fires electrons at a fast enough rate to create a "wall" effect. The closest distance between two electrons before repulsion occurs is always present, but other external factors can determine the equilibrium position of the system.
FeDeX_LaTeX
Gold Member
Hello;

I have just started my physics GCSE so I am not very learnèd as others. I was thinking about an 'electron wall' - is this possible?

I know that you cannot simply have a wall consisting of only electrons, because they would repel each other and it would fall apart.

But what if you fired a constant stream of electrons instead? Then the electrons wouldn't repel each other because they'd never be near each other - so what if you had a machine that a constant stream of electrons in a vacuum, such that it was faster than the rate of human movement? Would you be able to put your hand through it?

Another question I had - what is the closest distance that two electrons can be apart from each other before repelling themselves?

Cheers.

Physics news on Phys.org
The reason why we are unable to "put our hand through a wall" is due to electrostatic repulsion between the atoms on our hand and the atoms on the wall. It is quite likely that you require the electrons in your "wall" to be rather closely spaced in order to generate a large enough repulsion to prevent the human hand from passing through it.

There is little meaning to your second question regarding the closest distance that two electrons can be apart from each other without repelling themselves. There will always be a repulsive force acting between the two electrons. It is other external factors or forces that work in tandem with this repulsive force to determine where the equilibrium position of the system is.

Put two electrons in a universe devoid of any other matter or influences. The two electrons will move apart from each other for all eternity.

1. What is electron repel distance?

Electron repel distance is the distance at which two negatively charged electrons begin to repel each other due to their mutual electrostatic force.

2. Why is electron repel distance important?

Electron repel distance is important in understanding the behavior of particles in atoms and molecules. It also plays a role in determining the stability and reactivity of chemical compounds.

3. How is electron repel distance calculated?

Electron repel distance is calculated using Coulomb's law, which states that the force between two charged particles is directly proportional to the product of their charges and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them.

4. Can electron repel distance be changed?

Electron repel distance is a fundamental property of electrons and cannot be changed. However, it can be influenced by the presence of other charged particles or external electric fields.

5. Is electron repel distance the same for all atoms and molecules?

No, the electron repel distance can vary depending on the number of electrons and their arrangement in an atom or molecule. It can also vary for different types of atoms and molecules.