Can a dry cell be made rechargeable?

• Thread starter Doriangrey
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Zinc
In summary: You are proposing to create a dangerous reaction in a fume hood and without any safety equipment. Do not proceed.
Doriangrey
Thread moved from the technical forums to the schoolwork forums
TL;DR Summary: Dry cells are usually not rechargeable but I had a few ideas.

Basically dry cells are not rechargeable as zinc reacts with ammonia to form complex compounds which can't be revived. Consequently the quantity of reactants reduce thus hindering it from recharging.
So in a dry cell, Zinc and Manganese oxide/graphite are taken as electrodes. What if we took Zinc and Zinc oxide as electrodes? They could be kept in an acidic medium, and as both are of same degree of reactivity, could the cell now be recharged?

Physics news on Phys.org
"If we had some eggs, we could have some ham and eggs, if we had some ham...."

Likes russ_watters, Vanadium 50 and topsquark
What would be the point? You are essentially proposing a new kind of battery chemistry - why do you think this has been overlooked by what is a multi-billion dollar business?

Likes Bystander
Vanadium 50 said:
What would be the point? You are essentially proposing a new kind of battery chemistry - why do you think this has been overlooked by what is a multi-billion dollar business?
I have to make an investigatory project and thought of constructing a cell which is rechargeable is all. So the only thing that matters to me is if it works or not

So what do you need from us? If you need to do the experiment for school, you should do the experiment.

Likes Bystander
Doriangrey said:
I have to make an investigatory project and thought of constructing a cell which is rechargeable is all. So the only thing that matters to me is if it works or not
"Works?" Or works for how many/few charging cycles? Deep cycles? High current?

Likes Vanadium 50
Vanadium 50 said:
So what do you need from us? If you need to do the experiment for school, you should do the experiment.
In a fume hood, while wearing safety glasses and a thick apron, with a fire extinguisher and safety shower nearby...

1689005020693.png

https://nadisolab.com/product/laboratory-safety-shower/

Likes hutchphd, Vanadium 50 and Bystander
They all work very well. Each has its particular weakness. It would be important for any newcomer to outperform the existing technoloogy. By what margin does the proposed @chemisttree battery accomplish this? This is a theory question for the OP.

Doriangrey said:
TL;DR Summary: Dry cells are usually not rechargeable but I had a few ideas.

Basically dry cells are not rechargeable as zinc reacts with ammonia to form complex compounds which can't be revived. Consequently the quantity of reactants reduce thus hindering it from recharging.
So in a dry cell, Zinc and Manganese oxide/graphite are taken as electrodes. What if we took Zinc and Zinc oxide as electrodes? They could be kept in an acidic medium, and as both are of same degree of reactivity, could the cell now be recharged?
No, dry cells cannot be made rechargeable.

1. Can a dry cell be recharged?

Yes, a dry cell can be made rechargeable by using certain methods and materials.

2. What is a dry cell?

A dry cell is a type of battery that uses a paste or gel electrolyte instead of a liquid. It is commonly used in household batteries such as AA or AAA batteries.

3. How does a dry cell work?

A dry cell works by converting chemical energy into electrical energy through a chemical reaction between the electrolyte and the electrodes. The electrodes are made of different materials such as zinc, carbon, and manganese dioxide.

4. What materials are needed to make a dry cell rechargeable?

To make a dry cell rechargeable, you will need a different type of electrolyte that can be recharged, such as lithium-ion or nickel-cadmium, and a different type of electrode material, such as lithium or nickel. You will also need a charging mechanism to recharge the battery.

5. What are the benefits of using rechargeable dry cells?

Using rechargeable dry cells can save money and reduce waste, as they can be recharged and reused multiple times. They also tend to have a longer lifespan compared to non-rechargeable batteries. Additionally, using rechargeable batteries can be more environmentally friendly as they reduce the amount of batteries that end up in landfills.