Can a hole in my garage floor keep it warm in winter (geothermal heat)?

• Thread starter KeithS
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Heat Hole
In summary, a 4" or 6" diameter hole in your garage floor drain and installation of a PVC pipe to a depth of 10 feet will not keep your garage warmer. If you live in Northern Michigan and frost can reach depths of 7' or more, installing a heat pump may be a better option.
KeithS
If I was to bore a 4" or even 6" diameter hole into my garage floor drain and install a PVC pipe to a depth of 10 feet would the geothermal heat keep my garage warmer? I live in Northern Michigan and frost can reach depths of 7' or more. I am not looking to sweat in there, but could it allow some heat up, or would the colder temperatures overtake the grounds ability to transfer the heat? Thanks!

Engineering news on Phys.org
KeithS said:
and install a PVC pipe to a depth of 10"
10 inches or 10 feet?

berkeman said:
10 inches or 10 feet?
Thank you for the catch! 10 Feet

Not unless you have air circulating down into the hole. Better to drill two holes joined at the bottom and circulate air down one and up the other. But unless you have the right kind of soil such that heat flow will occur continually from surrounding warmer parts to the parts around the hole, all you will be doing is allowing the ground 7-10 feet down around the hole to freeze.

Heat pumps would be a better option, but these will not be effective unless you can draw energy from a large underground reservoir. This can be done by an array of pipes running through the ground. They are expensive and don't really save ghgs unless you are using renewable source electricity.

AM

Likes russ_watters and KeithS
Andrew Mason said:
Not unless you have air circulating down into the hole. Better to drill two holes joined at the bottom and circulate air down one and up the other. But unless you have the right kind of soil such that heat flow will occur continually from surrounding warmer parts to the parts around the hole, all you will be doing is allowing the ground 7-10 feet down around the hole to freeze.

Heat pumps would be a better option, but these will not be effective unless you can draw energy from a large underground reservoir. This can be done by an array of pipes running through the ground. They are expensive and don't really save ghgs unless you are using renewable source electricity.

AM
Thank you, I was hoping to just take the bite out of the air, but it sounds a little more involved than my wishful thinking! :)

It is probable that the air in the garage is stratified, with cold air on the floor and warmest air up above your head.
Do a survey by measuring the outside air temperature and the temperature at various levels in the garage. It may be worth slowly venting the lowest stagnant air from the garage and replacing it with warmer external air.

Andrew Mason said:

AM
Modern heat pumps actually save GHGs even if powered by a pure natural gas generator. On a typical US grid mix, they are substantially lower emission than even a 97% ultra high efficiency gas furnace. If your local grid is almost entirely coal, you're probably better off with the furnace, but otherwise the heat pump is the way to go (even air source heat pumps, though ground source as you describe are more efficient). The heat pump also has the benefit that its emissions drop as the grid gets cleaner, so assuming you think the grid will continue trending in that direction, the lifecycle emissions will be even better than the current comparison would indicate (while a gas furnace will, of course, always be burning gas).

Likes russ_watters
KeithS said:
would the geothermal heat keep my garage warmer?
Unless your garage is well insulated you won't likely to notice the difference.

cjl said:
Modern heat pumps actually save GHGs even if powered by a pure natural gas generator.
If the waste heat from the 25% efficient natural gas generator was used to heat the garage and the electricity generated was used to run a properly installed heat pump, then you will be saving energy and ghgs over a gas heater, regardless of temperature difference. I'm not sure about cost effectiveness, though.

AM

For this application an active heat pump would be an overkill. Look into thermosiphons instead.

Though I still think the available heat won't be enough.

1. Can a hole in my garage floor really keep it warm in winter?

Yes, it is possible for a hole in your garage floor to keep it warm in winter through geothermal heat. This is because the Earth's temperature remains relatively constant at around 50-60 degrees Fahrenheit below the surface, regardless of the season or weather above ground. By tapping into this constant temperature, a geothermal system can provide a reliable source of warmth for your garage.

2. How does a hole in the garage floor capture geothermal heat?

A hole in the garage floor is typically connected to a geothermal heat pump system. This system uses a series of pipes, known as a ground loop, that are buried underground. The pipes are filled with a fluid, such as water or antifreeze, which absorbs the heat from the Earth. The fluid is then pumped into the heat pump, where it is compressed and used to heat the air or water that is circulated throughout your garage.

3. What are the benefits of using geothermal heat for my garage?

There are several benefits to using geothermal heat for your garage, including energy efficiency, cost savings, and environmental friendliness. Geothermal systems use significantly less energy compared to traditional heating methods, resulting in lower utility bills. They also have a longer lifespan and require less maintenance. Additionally, geothermal heat is a renewable energy source, making it a more sustainable option for heating your garage.

4. Can a hole in the garage floor be used for both heating and cooling?

Yes, a geothermal heat pump system can be used for both heating and cooling your garage. In the winter, the system will extract heat from the ground and use it to warm your garage. In the summer, the process is reversed, and the system will remove heat from your garage and transfer it back into the ground, providing a cool and comfortable environment.

5. Is it expensive to install a geothermal heat system with a hole in my garage floor?

The initial cost of installing a geothermal heat system with a hole in your garage floor may be higher compared to traditional heating systems. However, the long-term cost savings and energy efficiency make it a worthwhile investment. Additionally, there are often tax credits and incentives available for installing geothermal systems, which can help offset the initial cost. It is best to consult with a professional to determine the specific cost for your garage and location.