Can a mallot on Earth wake up a cat on a planet 300,000 km away?

• Thread starter Michele
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Light
In summary, the speaker is struggling to remember the basics of physics and asks for help understanding the concept of causality. They use a thought experiment involving a cat and a gong to illustrate their question. The expert responds that there is no such thing as a perfectly rigid material and that movement can only be transferred through a material object at the speed of sound. They also mention that the idea of a planet Cat is not necessary for the thought experiment to be valid.
Michele
Hello to everyone. I used to be very passionate about physics when I was a high school student, but I have taken a different path andless than 10 years later here I am, struggling to remember the basics...all this to say that you will probably able to point out the flaw in my reasoning. Here it is:

I was recently reading the first chapters of "The Large, the Small and the Human Mind" by Roger Penrose and I was facing the apparently simple concept of light cones and the concept of casuality. To my understanding, if I am on planet Earth and my cat is napping on planet Cat, which happens to be about 300 000 km away from Earth (not the best distance to keep in touch with your cat I guess), if I want to wake up my cat I will only be able to do so 1 second in my future (in the best case).
Now what if on planet Cat there were a gong, placed close to my cat's hears, and right next to it a mallot with a 300 000 km long handle, so that I could grab the mallot from planet Earth and strike the gong on planet Cat. Assuming the mallot is made of some non deformable material, wouldn't its movement transfer instantly from planet Earth to planet Cat thus allowing me to immediately wake up my lazy? Obviously not, as that would violate some pretty important laws, as far as I know. Thank you for taking the time to read, could you please tell me where the flaw is?

Science news on Phys.org
There is no such thing as a perfectly rigid material. The speed of light forbids it.

Movement can only be transferred through a material object at the speed of sound of the material that object is made of. (Diamond, the hardest natural substance known, has a speed of sound of about 12km/s)

Well there probably isn't a planet Cat either ;)
So would the deformation of the mallot account for the delay?

Michele said:
Well there probably isn't a planet Cat either ;)
Perhaps, but the universe does not explicitly forbid it. So it is a valid component in your thought experiment. :)

Michele said:
So would the deformation of the mallot account for the delay?
Yep. Quite so. A physical connection - being necessarily much slower than the speed of light - would be a very poor way of transferring the signal.

Hello, thank you for sharing your thoughts on light cones. It is always exciting to see people still interested in physics, even after taking a different path.

To address your question, the flaw in your reasoning lies in the assumption that the mallot's movement would transfer instantly from planet Earth to planet Cat. In reality, nothing can travel faster than the speed of light, which is approximately 300,000 km per second. So even if the mallot was made of a non-deformable material, its movement would still take at least 1 second to reach planet Cat. This is because the mallot's movement would have to travel through space, which is governed by the laws of physics, including the speed limit of light.

Additionally, the concept of light cones and causality is not limited to physical objects, but also includes information and signals. So even if you were able to somehow instantly transfer the mallot's movement to planet Cat, the information of the strike would still take at least 1 second to reach your cat's ears, as it would have to travel through space.

I hope this helps clarify your understanding of light cones and causality. Keep exploring and questioning, as that is the essence of science. Best of luck on your journey!

Related to Can a mallot on Earth wake up a cat on a planet 300,000 km away?

What is a light cone?

A light cone is a visual representation of the possible paths that light particles can take in the universe. It is made up of two cones, one representing the past and one representing the future, with the present at the point where the two cones meet.

How do light cones relate to relativity?

Light cones are a fundamental concept in the theory of relativity. The shape and orientation of the light cones are used to explain how the perception of time and space can vary for different observers, depending on their relative motion.

What is the significance of the tip of the light cone?

The tip of the light cone represents the present moment. It is the point where past and future light rays intersect and is considered the "now" for an observer. As the future cone expands, the present point moves along with it.

What is the difference between a timelike and spacelike light cone?

A timelike light cone has a vertical axis, meaning that all possible paths within the cone are within the observer's light cone. A spacelike light cone has a horizontal axis, meaning that some paths within the cone are outside the observer's light cone and cannot be reached by them.

Can light cones be used to travel back in time?

No, light cones cannot be used to travel back in time. The cone only represents the possible paths of light particles, not objects or people. Additionally, the theory of relativity states that time travel is not possible.