Can a Non-Diagonal Hermitian Matrix be Diagonalized Using Unitary Matrix?

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of taking a non-diagonal Hermitian matrix A and diagonalizing it using a unitary matrix U, where U is not necessarily formed by the eigenvectors of A. The identity matrix is not a valid case for this scenario, as the eigenvalues of U and A must be different from 1 and -1. An example is given for a 2x2 matrix with eigenvalues of U being ±1, and D having non-1/-1 eigenvalues in order to satisfy the conditions.
LagrangeEuler
Every hermitian matrix is unitary diagonalizable. My question is it possible in some particular case to take hermitian matrix ##A## that is not diagonal and diagonalize it
[tex]UAU=D[/tex]
but if ##U## is not matrix that consists of eigenvectors of matrix ##A##. ##D## is diagonal matrix.

Physics news on Phys.org
[tex]U=U^{-1}[/tex]
I am not sure of such a specific case.

Yes here I am talking about case ##U=U^{-1}##. I am also not sure. But for me it is interesting.

As an example in 2X2 marix
[tex]U=
\begin{pmatrix}
k & \alpha \\
\beta & -k \\
\end{pmatrix}
[/tex]
where
[tex]\alpha \beta = 1-k^2[/tex]
would produce non diagonal matrix A from diagonal matrix D which has two different eigenvalues with A=UDU.

Last edited:
You can give me 2x2 example. But specify ##A##, ##U## and ##D##. Because ##U## still possibly can be formed of eigenvectors of ##A## in your example of ##U##.

Eingenvalues of U are ##\pm 1##. You can pick up the cases that eigenvalues of D and A are not 1 nor -1 for your purpose.

jedishrfu said:
is the identity m
No, because the identity matrix is diagonal.

anuttarasammyak said:
Eingenvalues of U are ##\pm 1##. You can pick up the cases that eigenvalues of D and A are not 1 nor -1 for your purpose.
Why? Eigenvalue can be for instance ##i##.

My #7 talks abot U of post #5. There for U [tex]\lambda^2 =1[/tex]
[tex]UDU=
\begin{pmatrix}
k & \alpha \\
\beta & -k \\
\end{pmatrix}
\begin{pmatrix}
d_1 & 0 \\
0 & d_2 \\
\end{pmatrix}
\begin{pmatrix}
k & \alpha \\
\beta & -k \\
\end{pmatrix}
=
\begin{pmatrix}
d_2+(d_1-d_2)k^2 & k\alpha (d_1-d_2) \\
k \beta (d_1-d_2) & d_1-(d_1-d_2)k^2 \\
\end{pmatrix}
=A[/tex]
, and
[tex]d_1,d_2 \neq -1,1[/tex]
to satisfy your further condition.

Last edited:

What is a non-diagonal Hermitian matrix?

A non-diagonal Hermitian matrix is a square matrix where the elements above and below the main diagonal are complex conjugates of each other. In other words, the matrix is symmetric with respect to the main diagonal, and the elements on the main diagonal are real numbers.

What is a unitary matrix?

A unitary matrix is a square matrix whose conjugate transpose is equal to its inverse. This means that when a unitary matrix is multiplied by its conjugate transpose, the result is the identity matrix. Unitary matrices are often used in linear algebra and quantum mechanics.

Can a non-diagonal Hermitian matrix be diagonalized?

Yes, a non-diagonal Hermitian matrix can be diagonalized. Diagonalization is the process of finding a diagonal matrix that is similar to the original matrix. In other words, the diagonal matrix has the same eigenvalues as the original matrix. This can be done using a unitary matrix.

Can a unitary matrix always diagonalize a non-diagonal Hermitian matrix?

Yes, a unitary matrix can always diagonalize a non-diagonal Hermitian matrix. This is because unitary matrices have the property of being able to diagonalize any square matrix, including non-diagonal Hermitian matrices.

Why is it important to be able to diagonalize a non-diagonal Hermitian matrix?

Diagonalization of a non-diagonal Hermitian matrix is important in many areas of science and mathematics, including quantum mechanics, signal processing, and statistics. It allows for easier computation and analysis of the matrix, as well as providing insights into the underlying structure and properties of the matrix.