Can a pulse from a laser be treated as a Gaussian?

In summary, the results of the research show that it's important to take into account how the target reflects laser light when trying to estimate the range of a target.
Sciencemaster
TL;DR Summary
I know a laser is generally treated as a coherent state (i.e. a plane wave). However, if a laser turns on and back off quickly, can the resulting light be treated as a gaussian?
I know a laser is generally treated as a coherent state (i.e. a plane wave). However, if a laser turns on and back off quickly, can the resulting light be treated as a gaussian multiplied by the plane wave that would have been emitted if the laser were continually active?

Physics news on Phys.org
Depends on the laser. I assume you mean in the temporal sense? Q-switched lasers would often look like a fast exponential rise followed by a slower exponential fall. But anyway, they are complicated beasts that come in many flavors; it all depends on the details.

Plus I'm confused about the plane wave reference, that's a spatial profile, I guess? Lasers don't really make simple plane waves, more like diffraction limited TEM modes.

Anytime you hear people referring to plane waves they are intentionally choosing the simplest possible model, which is useful, but always wrong, somehow.

Likes DrClaude and Klystron
Anyway, your question is "is this a good model?" I guess we can't tell you that. It's not ridiculous, and it's simple enough (I think, still not sure about the details). All models are wrong, they are also simpler than reality, which is incredibly useful. The next step, the hardest part, is to evaluate if you care about the difference between your model and the real world; i.e. what you care about.

My favorite professor used to say: "Engineering is the art of approximation" - R. D. Middlebrook

Concur with @DaveE.

We can divide commercial lasers, indeed many other EM emitters, as continuous with a wave as model (CW); and pulsed. Pulsed lasers allow fine control of the optical bandwidth and meaningful control of energy applied to the target. Energy from a CW laser concentrated within a short duration pulse, provide a glimpse of possibilities.

Pulse repetition frequency (PRF) adjustment provides many design and operational advantages over CW including more precise energy placement and improved retention of lasing material in the pulse-off period. As previously stated, laser design choice depends on application specifics, then cost and availability.

Pulsed lasers add interesting mathematics to basic wave model calculations. Aforementioned Q-switches permit very narrow pulse widths, and very rapid response.

The simplest model of a laser pulse is a carrier sine wave times a pulse envelope. A Gaussian envelope is a reasonable choice, but the fact that it never actual goes to zero can be problematic in some simulations/calculations. In that case, one can use a ##\sin^2## envelope, which has the nice property that the first derivative also goes to zero at the beginning and end of the pulse.

As others have mentioned, actual pulses have a more complicated shape that depends on the type of laser.

Likes Klystron, Lord Jestocost and vanhees71
Alright, thank you for all of the responses! Out of curiosity, what's an example of a more complicated (but closer to reality) wave function for a light pulse?

1. Can a pulse from a laser be treated as a Gaussian?

Yes, in many cases, a pulse from a laser can be approximated as a Gaussian beam. This means that the intensity profile of the laser beam follows a Gaussian distribution, with a peak at the center and gradually decreasing towards the edges.

2. What factors affect the Gaussian nature of a laser pulse?

The Gaussian nature of a laser pulse can be affected by several factors, including the laser's mode of operation, the quality of the laser cavity, and any aberrations or distortions in the optical components.

3. How does the Gaussian nature of a laser pulse impact its propagation?

The Gaussian nature of a laser pulse can significantly impact its propagation, as it determines the shape and size of the beam as it travels through space. This can affect the beam's focus, divergence, and diffraction properties.

4. Can a laser pulse deviate from a Gaussian beam profile?

Yes, a laser pulse can deviate from a Gaussian beam profile due to various factors such as nonlinear effects, thermal lensing, and spatial filtering. In some cases, the Gaussian nature of the beam may need to be corrected for certain applications.

5. How is the Gaussian nature of a laser pulse measured and characterized?

The Gaussian nature of a laser pulse is typically measured and characterized by analyzing its intensity profile using techniques such as beam profiling or interferometry. This allows for the determination of parameters such as beam waist, divergence, and M² factor, which can indicate the degree of Gaussianity of the beam.