Can a random variable donimate

In summary, for the expression Prob(wx + y < c) to be approximately equal to Prob(wx < c) as w approaches infinity, the expected values of both x and y must be finite. This means that the probability density functions for x and y must have a finite area under the curve. In addition, the expected value of y must be an order of magnitude less than the expected value of x. In the limit as w approaches infinity, the two probabilities will always be equal.
jillna
Given two random variables x and y, and a constant c

What conditions are needed to make:

[tex]Prob( w x + y < c ) \approx Prob( w x < c ), \text{ for } w \rightarrow \infty[/tex]

Can anyone help? I think [tex]E(x) < \infty[/tex] and [tex]E(y) < \infty[/tex] might do. Is this right?

tks!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I think you need the expected value of y an order of magnitude less than E(x).

In the limit as [tex] w \rightarrow \infty [/tex] I believe they are always equal. I will use the probability density functions (f(x),f(y), and f(x,y)) to give my reasoning.

[tex] P(wx < c) = P(x < c/w) = P(x < 0)[/tex] in the limit of [tex]w \rightarrow \infty[/tex]
[tex] = \int_{-\infty}^{0}f(x)dx = \int_{-\infty}^{0}\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}f(x,y)dydx [/tex]

To calculate the probability you have to add up the region of the density for which wx+y < c, which can be achieved by integrating for each x from y=-infinity to the line y=-wx+c:

[tex] P(wx +y < c) = \int_{-\infty}^{\infty}\int_{-\infty}^{-wx+c}f(x,y)dydx [/tex]

In the limit this becomes the y-axis, so we actually have in this case:
[tex] = \int_{-\infty}^{0}\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}f(x,y)dydx = \int_{-\infty}^{0}f(x)dx[/tex]

and so they are equivalent.

Related to Can a random variable donimate

1. Can a random variable dominate another random variable?

Yes, a random variable can dominate another random variable. This occurs when one random variable has a higher probability of occurrence than the other.

2. How can you determine which random variable dominates?

To determine which random variable dominates, you can compare their probability distributions. The random variable with a higher probability of occurrence at each value will dominate.

3. Is it possible for two random variables to have the same probability distribution?

Yes, it is possible for two random variables to have the same probability distribution. This means that they have the same likelihood of occurrence at each value.

4. Can a random variable dominate in certain situations but not in others?

Yes, a random variable can dominate in certain situations but not in others. This depends on the probability distribution and the values being compared.

5. How does the concept of domination relate to probability and statistics?

The concept of domination is important in probability and statistics because it helps us compare and analyze different random variables. It allows us to determine which random variable is more likely to occur and make predictions based on probability distributions.