Can a Vector Field Have Curl without Satisfying Clairaut's Theorem?

In summary, the concept of curl in a vector field is based on the fact that the partial derivatives of the components of the field must be equal to or greater than the other. However, this is not always the case and can be affected by factors such as right-handedness and the application of Clairaut's theorem, which states that in order for a vector field to have zero divergence, its second order partial derivatives must follow a certain pattern.
MotoPayton
Divergenceofthecurl.jpg

For there to be curl is some vector field fxy cannot equal fyx.
Where fx= P, and fy=Q. Since the (partial of Q with respect to x)-(Partial of P with respect to y) is a non zero quantity giving curl.

I understand that the terms will cancel due to the right-handedness of the definition but we are assuming the these second order partials of P,Q,R follow Clairaut's theroem?

How can clairauts theorem be unsatisfied in order for the vector field to have curl and the clairauts theorem to be satisfied in order for their to be zero divergence?

I hope that makes sense. Thanks

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
MotoPayton said:
Divergenceofthecurl.jpg

For there to be curl is some scaler field fxy cannot equal fyx.
I have no clue what you mean by this. What "scaler field" are you talking about?
If F is a any vector valued function with differentiable components, then "curl F" is defined.

Where fx= P, and fy=Q. Since the (partial of Q with respect to x)-(Partial of P with respect to y) is a non zero quantity giving curl.

I understand that the terms will cancel due to the right-handedness of the definition but we are assuming the these second order partials of P,Q,R follow Clairaut's theroem?

How can clairauts theorem be unsatisfied in order for the vector field to have curl and the clairauts theorem to be satisfied in order for their to be zero divergence?

I hope that makes sense. Thanks
Clairaut's theorem simply says that if F(x,y) is any function of two variables, with continuous second derivatives, then
[tex]\frac{\partial^2F}{\partial x\partial y}= \frac{\partial^2F}{\partial y\partial x}[/tex]

Vector field... my mistake

Related to Can a Vector Field Have Curl without Satisfying Clairaut's Theorem?

What is "Divergence of the Curl"?

"Divergence of the Curl" is a mathematical concept used in vector calculus to describe how a vector field behaves in three-dimensional space. It is a measure of how much the vector field is "spreading out" or "flowing" from a particular point.

How is "Divergence of the Curl" calculated?

The divergence of a vector field is calculated by taking the dot product of the vector field with the del operator (∇), which is then applied to the curl of the vector field. Mathematically, it is represented as div(curl(F)).

What is the physical significance of "Divergence of the Curl"?

The physical significance of "Divergence of the Curl" is that it represents the amount of "source" or "sink" of a vector field at a particular point. A positive divergence indicates a source, while a negative divergence indicates a sink. It is also used to describe the behavior of fluid flow and electric and magnetic fields.

How does "Divergence of the Curl" relate to the continuity equation?

The continuity equation states that the divergence of a vector field must be equal to its rate of change over time. This means that if a vector field has a non-zero divergence, then it is not a steady-state field and is changing over time. The divergence of the curl is related to the continuity equation because it represents the "source" or "sink" of the vector field, which affects its rate of change over time.

What are the applications of "Divergence of the Curl"?

"Divergence of the Curl" has various applications in physics and engineering, such as in fluid dynamics, electromagnetism, and heat transfer. It is used to analyze the behavior of vector fields and can be used to solve complex problems involving fluid flow, electric and magnetic fields, and heat transfer in various systems.