Can a Vector Space Over Field F Contain Entries from Other Fields?

In summary, the question being discussed is whether the field a particular vector space is over has any influence on the components or entries inside a vector from the vector space. It is clarified that when "vector" is used, it refers to a member of a vector space, not a member of Fn where F is a field. An example is given of a 3-dimensional vector space over ℝ with a basis of Pauli spin matrices, where the vector components are represented by real numbers but the members of the vector space are 2x2 matrices with complex entries. Therefore, the field a vector space is over does not necessarily restrict the entries inside the vectors.
zcd
Just for clarification, if a vector space is defined over a field F, are entries inside the vectors in the vector space necessarily restricted to field F? Say I had a vector space V={(a1,a2,...):ai∈C} , could the vector space be over the field R so that I only take scalars from the reals?

Physics news on Phys.org
well,yes, but what is really your question?

My question is do entries in an n-tuple from a vector space have to be from the same field as the field the vector space is defined over?

No, they don't. And elements of a vector space don't need to be tuple. You only need to be able to multiplicate them with elements of F. But is it not necessary that elements of the vector space have anything to do with F.

However, every (finite dimensional space) is isomorphic to Fn. So in fact we are working with tuples anyway, even if we don't realize it...

A good example is the set of complex traceless self-adjoint 2×2 matrices. The standard definitions of addition and scalar multiplication give it the structure of a vector space over ℝ. But the set isn't closed under multiplication by i, so the same standard definitions do not give it the structure of a vector space over ℂ.

It's easy to show that this vector space is 3-dimensional, and that the set of Pauli spin matrices is a basis. With an appropriate choice of inner product, this basis is orthonormal.

I'm sorry, this question is so imprecise as not to make sense to me, but the others seem to know what you mean.

Are you asking whether, say the complex numbers can be considered as a vector space over the real numbers? Then the answer is yes, but in writing them down as "tuples" one would then use real numbers to represent them, not complex numbers. So the phrase "entries inside the vectors" is the part that is too imprecise for me to understand perfectly.

I.e. when you say this, I implicitly assume you mean entries in a basis representation, which do come from the base field, but that is apparently not what you meant.

mathwonk said:
So the phrase "entries inside the vectors" is the part that is too imprecise for me to understand perfectly.
When he says "vector" he means "tuple", not "member of a vector space". So he's asking if ℂn can be given the structure of a vector space over ℝ.

mathwonk said:
I.e. when you say this, I implicitly assume you mean entries in a basis representation,
I'm pretty sure he means entries in the standard basis, not any other.

mathwonk said:
Then the answer is yes, but in writing them down as "tuples" one would then use real numbers to represent them, not complex numbers.
Not necessarily. I don't see why anyone would want to do this, but you can give ℂn the structure of a vector space over ℝ, by first defining the standard (complex) vector space structure and then restricting the scalar multiplication function to ℝ×ℂn.

The example I used in my previous post is much more interesting. It's a 3-dimensional vector space over ℝ, and the basis I mentioned looks like this:

[tex]\sigma_1=\begin{pmatrix}0 & 1\\ 1 & 0\end{pmatrix},\quad \sigma_2=\begin{pmatrix}0 & -i\\ i & 0\end{pmatrix},\quad \sigma_3=\begin{pmatrix}1 & 0\\ 0 & -1\end{pmatrix}[/tex]

So an arbitrary member can be written as

[tex]x=\sum_{k=1}^3 x_k\sigma_k=\begin{pmatrix}x_3 & x_1-ix_2\\ x_1+ix_2 & -x_3\end{pmatrix}[/tex]

Now, the tuple that you and I would associate with this vector and this basis is [itex](x_1,x_2,x_3)[/itex], but the OP's phrase "inside the vector" refers to what's inside the matrix on the right-hand side.

mathwonk said:
I'm sorry, this question is so imprecise as not to make sense to me, but the others seem to know what you mean.
Sorry for not being clear with my question. I'm asking whether the field a particular vector space is over has any bearing on what's inside a vector from the vector space, or are those two separate matters?

Fredrik said:
The example I used in my previous post is much more interesting. It's a 3-dimensional vector space over ℝ, and the basis I mentioned looks like this:

[tex]\sigma_1=\begin{pmatrix}0 & 1\\ 1 & 0\end{pmatrix},\quad \sigma_2=\begin{pmatrix}0 & -i\\ i & 0\end{pmatrix},\quad \sigma_3=\begin{pmatrix}1 & 0\\ 0 & -1\end{pmatrix}[/tex]

So an arbitrary member can be written as

[tex]x=\sum_{k=1}^3 x_k\sigma_k=\begin{pmatrix}x_3 & x_1-ix_2\\ x_1+ix_2 & -x_3\end{pmatrix}[/tex]

Now, the tuple that you and I would associate with this vector and this basis is [itex](x_1,x_2,x_3)[/itex], but the OP's phrase "inside the vector" refers to what's inside the matrix on the right-hand side.
So what you're doing is using a vector space of 2x2 matrices with complex entries, but since the scalars used for scalar multiplication are all reals the vector space is over the field of reals?

zcd said:
So what you're doing is using a vector space of 2x2 matrices with complex entries, but since the scalars used for scalar multiplication are all reals the vector space is over the field of reals?
Exactly. One of the things that makes this example interesting is that we don't have the option to choose the field of scalars to be ℂ, because if A is a member of the set, iA isn't. (iA)*=-iA*=-iA≠iA.

zcd said:
Sorry for not being clear with my question. I'm asking whether the field a particular vector space is over has any bearing on what's inside a vector from the vector space, or are those two separate matters?
It's the "inside a vector" part of your statement that's unclear. "Vector" means "member of a vector space", not "member of Fn, where F is some field", so it's not at all clear what "inside a vector" means. A natural interpretation would be that it's a reference to the members of the matrix of components of the vector in a given basis. In my example, that would be the real triple (x1,x2,x3), not the complex 4-tuple x.

Last edited:
I think the only sensible answer to this last question is "yes, the two are separate matters". A vector space over the field K is nothing but an abelian additive group with a action of K on it. The members of that group do not have to have any "connection" with K (whatever that means), only a sensible action of K on it must be defined so that the product of an element of K and an element of the group yields an element of the group.

Thanks for the clarification!

Related to Can a Vector Space Over Field F Contain Entries from Other Fields?

1. What is a vector space over a field F?

A vector space over a field F is a mathematical structure that consists of a set of objects called vectors, which can be added together and multiplied by elements of a field F. It is a fundamental concept in linear algebra and is used to study geometric objects such as lines, planes, and higher-dimensional spaces.

2. What are the properties of a vector space over a field F?

A vector space over a field F must satisfy several properties, including closure under vector addition and scalar multiplication, associative and distributive laws, existence of a zero vector and additive inverse, and compatibility with field multiplication and addition. These properties allow for the manipulation and algebraic operations on vectors within the vector space.

3. How does a vector space over a field F differ from a vector space over a different field?

The main difference between vector spaces over different fields lies in the properties that they must satisfy. For example, a vector space over a field of real numbers will have different properties than a vector space over a field of complex numbers. Additionally, the dimension of a vector space may vary depending on the field it is defined over.

4. Can a field F have more than one vector space defined over it?

Yes, a field F can have multiple vector spaces defined over it. This is because a vector space is a mathematical structure that can be defined over any field, as long as it satisfies the necessary properties. For example, the set of all n-dimensional vectors with real coefficients can be a vector space over the field of real numbers, as well as the field of complex numbers.

5. How are vector spaces over a field F used in real-world applications?

Vector spaces over a field F have numerous applications in fields such as physics, engineering, computer science, and economics. They are used to model and solve problems involving linear transformations, optimization, data analysis, and more. For example, in physics, vector spaces are used to represent physical quantities such as velocity and force, and in computer graphics, they are used to manipulate and display images.