Can an Abelian Group Be Isomorphic to a Non-Abelian Group in Physics?

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of an abelian group being isomorphic to a non-abelian group and how this is not possible due to the different properties of these groups. The conversation also references an article discussing the relationship between point groups and molecular symmetry groups. The question of constructing a character table of irreducible representation is also mentioned.
Konte
Hi everybody,

I have a question: is an abelian group can be isomorphic to a non-abelian group?

Thank you everybody.

Physics news on Phys.org
In a non-abelian group, there are at least two elements A and B so that A*B=C but B*A=D with different D and C. this is not possible in an abelian group, so the two groups can also not be isomorphic.

DrDu said:
In a non-abelian group, there are at least two elements A and B so that A*B=C but B*A=D with different D and C. this is not possible in an abelian group, so the two groups can also not be isomorphic.

I thought so. But I asked this question because I have read this article of G.Bone and Co. http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/00268979100100021(in appendix page 71-72), which states that the Molecular symmetry group (MS) of a rigid molecule is isomorphic to its point group. Knowing that the MS group is composed of nuclear permutation-inversion operation, I verified by myself this group is in general non-abelian, and on the other side, point group are in general abelian. So, did they say something wrong?

Thank you.

Konte

Most point groups aren't abelian. Take a cubic group, like Oh as an example: Rotate first 90 deg, around x and then 90 deg. around y. Compare to first rotating 90 deg around y and then 90 deg around x.

Likes Konte
You are right, I missed it.
Thanks a lot.

I have another question, how to construct the character table of irreducible representation knowing the multiplication table of the group?

This can be arbitrarily nontrivial. Best have a look on a decent book on group theory. As you are mainly interested in the symmetric group, Sternberg, "Group theory and physics" might be what you are looking for.

Likes Konte
Ok. Thanks!

1. What is group theory in physics?

Group theory is a mathematical framework used in physics to study the symmetries and invariances of physical systems. It involves the study of groups, which are sets of mathematical elements that can be combined or transformed in specific ways while still maintaining the same structure.

2. How is group theory applied in physics?

Group theory is used to understand the fundamental laws of nature and the behavior of physical systems. It is applied in various areas of physics, such as quantum mechanics, particle physics, and solid state physics, to study the symmetries and conservation laws of these systems.

3. What is a symmetry in physics?

In physics, a symmetry refers to a transformation that leaves a physical system unchanged. This could be a spatial or temporal transformation, such as rotation, translation, or time reversal, or it could be a transformation of the system's internal properties, such as charge or spin. Symmetries play a crucial role in determining the behavior and properties of physical systems.

4. How does group theory help in understanding the behavior of physical systems?

Group theory provides a powerful tool for analyzing the symmetries and invariances of physical systems. By identifying the symmetries present in a system, we can make predictions about its behavior and properties. Group theory also helps in classifying different physical systems and understanding the relationships between them.

5. Can you give an example of group theory in physics?

One example of group theory in physics is the study of rotational symmetries in quantum mechanics. The group of rotations in three-dimensional space, known as the group SO(3), plays a crucial role in understanding the behavior of particles with spin. By applying group theory, we can predict the energy levels and allowed transitions of these particles, as well as their behavior under different transformations.