Can an AC Water Well Pump Handle 50Hz Cycles for Use in Africa?

In summary, bob recommends finding a pump that can be replaced with a 220v/50Hz motor. He also suggests checking the pump's compatibility with the motor using the affinity laws.
speedbump
I am new here and I am not really sure where to post this question. I am also not an Engineer, so general language would be appreciated.

I sell Water Well Pumps at my location and on the Internet among other things. Today I had a call from a Man who wanted a Pump that was going to Africa. He needed 170 gallons per minute at 360 feet of head. No problem, a 30 hp motor and the right liquid end will do the job. Problem is, my book had pump curves for motors that are 60 cycle. In Africa I believe they have 50 cycles like most places around the globe. This means my motor which will spin at 3450 rpm's at 60 htz; and will spin somewhere around 2700 rpm's at 50 htz. Now the pump can't do what my curve said it would.

My question: How would you figure out which pump and motor to sell this man with only the 60 cycle pump curve?

Thanks in advance
bob...

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Pump http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/affinity-laws-d_408.html" apply. Using the simple equations found on this web page should provide you enouh information to make pump curves for when the RPM changes.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just find a pump/motor combo that is designed to operate at 220v/50Hz...

Just find a pump/motor combo that is designed to operate at 220v/50Hz...

That's the problem. All the curves I have are at 60 cycles. The manufacturers I buy from don't offer anything in 50 cycles.

speedbump said:
That's the problem. All the curves I have are at 60 cycles. The manufacturers I buy from don't offer anything in 50 cycles.

What about finding a pump which you can replace the motor with a 220v/50Hz one?

Mech_Engineer said:
What about finding a pump which you can replace the motor with a 220v/50Hz one?

I would imagine most pumps you a simple synchronous motor in which the speed is determined by the frequency of voltage powering it. So if you used a 50Hz motor, its still going to spin at 50Hz unless you have some kind of speed controller.

Like Goest said, pump affinity laws apply and can easily be used to calculate new curves.

I checked out the affinity laws and they are over my head. Remember I'm a pumpman not a mathematician.

I have no way of getting my hands on a 50 cycle pump curve for the brands of pumps I sell. So that's totally not an option.

I was hoping there was some equation that would take what I found in my book at 60 cycles and basically bump it up to ? horse power and number of impellers to do the same job at 50 cycles. There probably isn't any such thing.

Thanks for trying guys.

bob...

The affinity laws are the equations you're looking for.

Start with flow rate:
you want 170 gpm at 50 hertz. What would that pump make at 60 hertz?

you need this:
q1/q2 = n1/n2

q1 is flow rate at pump speed n1 and q2 is flow rate at pump speed n2.

q1 is 170 gpm. n1/n2 = 50/60 = 0.83
so 170/q2 = 0.83, and
then q2 is 204 gpm

now head:
h1/h2 = (n1/n2)^2 (that's squared
h1 = 360 feet
(n1/n2)^2 = 0.83^2 = 0.69
so 360/h2 = 0.69, and
then h2 is 518 feet

so you want a pump that (at 60 hertz) would deliver 204 gpm at 518 feet. If you ran that pump at 50 hertz, it would deliver 170 gpm at 360 feet.

The power though, would be based on operating at 170 gpm at 360 feet, so the 30 bhp shouldn’t change.

Hope that helps.

Thanks Gmax, that's what I think I need. But like I said, I'm no mathematician, so if I tried to do all that math, I would certainly come up with the wrong answer. Algebra was not my strong suit.

If you could do that once more, with my numbers, that may be all I need.
GPM = 170
Head = 490
HP = 30hp
At 60 htz of coarse.

Thanks,

bob...

You also need to be sure that the motor used will safely tolerate operation at 50Hz at the highest possible voltage for your client's intended application.

AC motors can be overstressed by operation below their intended frequency, particularly if the supply voltage is above nominal. Bear in mind that the supply voltage may not be so predictable as it would be in your country.

Related to Can an AC Water Well Pump Handle 50Hz Cycles for Use in Africa?

1. What is the difference between pumps that operate at 50 or 60 cycles?

The main difference between pumps that operate at 50 or 60 cycles is the frequency at which they run. 50 cycle pumps run at a frequency of 50 hertz, while 60 cycle pumps run at a frequency of 60 hertz. This difference in frequency can affect the performance and efficiency of the pumps.

2. How do I determine if my pump is operating at 50 or 60 cycles?

You can determine the frequency of your pump by checking the label or nameplate on the pump. It should indicate the frequency in hertz. You can also use a multimeter or frequency meter to measure the frequency of the pump.

3. Can a pump designed for 50 cycles be used at 60 cycles?

No, a pump designed for 50 cycles should not be used at 60 cycles. It is important to use the pump at the specified frequency to ensure its proper operation and longevity. Using the pump at a different frequency can also lead to damage and safety hazards.

4. What are the advantages of using a 60 cycle pump over a 50 cycle pump?

One advantage of using a 60 cycle pump is that it can generally run at a higher speed, allowing for faster pumping and higher flow rates. Additionally, 60 cycle pumps are more common in North America, so they may be easier to find and purchase in certain regions.

5. How does the frequency of a pump affect its energy consumption?

The frequency of a pump can affect its energy consumption. In general, 60 cycle pumps tend to be more energy-efficient than 50 cycle pumps. This is because they can run at higher speeds, requiring less time to complete a task. However, the specific energy consumption may vary depending on the design and efficiency of the pump itself.