Can an isosceles triangle have 3 equal angles?

In summary, the conversation discusses a scenario involving a triangle with known and unknown angles and lengths. The speaker realizes that the triangle must be isosceles, but due to the given information, it is impossible to determine the exact measurements. The concept of a special type of isosceles triangle, the equilateral triangle, is also mentioned. However, it is concluded that this type of triangle is not possible on a plane.
Saracen Rue
Okay, I know I must sound like a complete idiot here, but please bear with me.

I've come across a scenario in which I have triangle ECF. Angle ECF = 60 degrees, Angles CEF and CFE are unknown, lengths EC and FC are unknown and equal and length EF is r√3 and not equal to lengths EC and FC

I know it has to be an isosceles triangle, but because angle ECF = 60 the remaining angles must both also be equal to 60 degrees.

I'm not sure if this is possible or not. Also, sorry if this is a very basic question but I have honestly never encountered this scenario before. Any help is much appreciated.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Saracen Rue said:
Okay, I know I must sound like a complete idiot here, but please bear with me.

I've come across a scenario in which I have triangle ECF. Angle ECF = 60 degrees, Angles CEF and CFE are unknown, lengths EC and FC are unknown and equal and length EF is r√3 and not equal to lengths EC and FC

I know it has to be an isosceles triangle, but because angle ECF = 60 the remaining angles must both also be equal to 60 degrees.

I'm not sure if this is possible or not. Also, sorry if this is a very basic question but I have honestly never encountered this scenario before. Any help is much appreciated.
This is an impossible object.

However, isosceles triangles can have 3 equal angles, and it becomes a special type of isosceles triangle - the equilateral triangle. This is equivalent to a square being a special type of rectangle, which itself is a special type of parallelogram, which is a special quadrilateral.

Such a triangle is possible on a sphere and some other objects, but not on a plane.

Related to Can an isosceles triangle have 3 equal angles?

1. Can an isosceles triangle have 3 equal angles?

Yes, an isosceles triangle can have 3 equal angles. In fact, this type of triangle is called an equiangular triangle, where all three angles are equal to 60 degrees.

2. What is an isosceles triangle?

An isosceles triangle is a type of triangle where two of the sides are equal in length. This creates two equal angles opposite the equal sides.

3. How do you identify an isosceles triangle?

To identify an isosceles triangle, you can look for two equal sides or two equal angles. If two sides are equal, the third angle will also be equal. If two angles are equal, the opposite sides will also be equal.

4. Can an isosceles triangle have 2 equal angles?

Yes, an isosceles triangle can have 2 equal angles. This means that the two equal sides will be opposite the two equal angles.

5. What is the sum of the angles in an isosceles triangle?

The sum of the angles in an isosceles triangle is always 180 degrees. This is true because the two equal angles will be equal to each other, making the third angle equal to the remaining 180 degrees.