Can anti-matter be stored in super conducting magnetic cylinders?

In summary, the conversation discusses the feasibility of using anti-matter as an energy source and the potential for storing it in superconducting magnetic tubes. The main concern is the high energy requirement for producing and storing anti-matter, but the use of superconductors could potentially eliminate this issue. The conversation also mentions ongoing research at CERN and other institutions on this topic.
khurram usman
frankly i don't know much about anti-matter or super conductors...i just read an into-level topic on anti-matter and had a thought.
the main concern while developing an energy source is that its feasibility should be considered...right? and the problem with anti-matter is that it takes too much energy to produce and then store it.
i was just wondering whether it can be stored in a superconducting magnetic tube?
i mean there are no losses in a super conductor and consequently the magnetic field will be able to store it easily . that is what i was thinking. has anyone done this thing at cern or anywhere else yet?

Physics news on Phys.org

1. Can anti-matter be stored in superconducting magnetic cylinders?

Yes, it is possible to store anti-matter in superconducting magnetic cylinders. Anti-matter is typically stored in a vacuum chamber, surrounded by strong magnetic fields to contain it.

2. How is anti-matter stored in superconducting magnetic cylinders?

Anti-matter is stored in superconducting magnetic cylinders using a combination of magnetic fields and vacuum chambers. The magnetic fields prevent the anti-matter from coming into contact with regular matter, which would result in annihilation.

3. What are the benefits of storing anti-matter in superconducting magnetic cylinders?

Storing anti-matter in superconducting magnetic cylinders allows for the preservation of anti-matter for longer periods of time. It also enables scientists to study anti-matter and its properties without the risk of it coming into contact with regular matter and causing annihilation.

4. Are there any challenges in storing anti-matter in superconducting magnetic cylinders?

Yes, there are challenges in storing anti-matter in superconducting magnetic cylinders. One of the main challenges is the high cost and complexity of creating and maintaining the necessary magnetic fields and vacuum chambers. Additionally, the amount of anti-matter that can be stored is limited by current technology.

5. Can anti-matter be stored indefinitely in superconducting magnetic cylinders?

No, anti-matter cannot be stored indefinitely in superconducting magnetic cylinders. While the magnetic fields can contain the anti-matter, there are still small imperfections and fluctuations in the fields that can cause the anti-matter to come into contact with regular matter and annihilate. Additionally, anti-matter can also decay over time, so it cannot be stored indefinitely.