Can Both Ligands in Ru(phen)2(NCS)2 Bind via the Same Atom?

• Thread starter johnchau123
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Linkage
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of linkage isomerism in complexes, using the example of Ru(phen)2(NCS)2. The speaker focuses on linkage isomers regardless of their optical or geometrical isomers, and mentions that there are three possible linkage isomers in this case: one with an N linkage, one with an S linkage, and one with a mixture of the two.
johnchau123
[SOLVED] Linkage isomer in complexes

I would like to ask a question on linkage isomer on complexes.
Say, I have a complex Ru(phen)2(NCS)2.
NCS can exhibit linkage isomer.
Suppose I focus on linkage isomerism only, regardless of optical isomer or geometrical isomer.
Surely, the complex can exist as S-C=N->Ru<-N=C-S and N=C-S->Ru<-S-C=N.
Can the complex be exist as S-C=N->Ru<-S-C=N.

p.s.: sorry for my poor representation, = means triple bond and either -> or <- is dative covalent bond.

Thanks.
John

Physics news on Phys.org
Theres 3 isomers in that case isn't there?

1x N linkage
1x S linkage
1x Mixture

Theres technically four, but since the other "Mixture" isomer is equivalent to the first one chemically, I'd say there was three personally...

Hello John,

Thank you for your question on linkage isomerism in complexes. Linkage isomerism is a type of structural isomerism in coordination compounds, where the ligands are attached to the central metal atom in different ways. In your example of Ru(phen)2(NCS)2, the ligand NCS (thiocyanate) can exhibit linkage isomerism because it can bind to the metal atom in two different ways - through the sulfur atom (S-bonding) or through the nitrogen atom (N-bonding).

To answer your question, yes, the complex can exist as S-C=N->Ru<-S-C=N. This is because in linkage isomerism, the ligands can switch their binding sites without altering the overall charge or coordination number of the complex. Therefore, the complex can exist in multiple forms with different bonding arrangements between the ligands and the central metal atom. However, it is important to note that these different forms may have different physical and chemical properties.

I hope this helps to clarify your question about linkage isomerism in complexes. If you have any further questions, please let me know.

Best regards,

What is a linkage isomer in complexes?

A linkage isomer in complexes is a type of isomerism that occurs when the same ligand is bonded to the central metal atom through different atoms. This results in the formation of different complex structures with distinct chemical and physical properties.

How does the formation of linkage isomers affect the stability of complexes?

The formation of linkage isomers can significantly affect the stability of complexes. In some cases, the isomers may have similar stabilities, while in others, one isomer may be more stable than the other. This is due to the difference in bonding strengths between the ligand and the central metal atom in each isomer.

What factors can influence the formation of linkage isomers?

The formation of linkage isomers can be influenced by various factors such as the electronic and steric effects of the ligand, the nature of the central metal atom, and the solvent used. These factors can affect the bonding between the ligand and the metal atom, leading to the formation of different isomers.

How are linkage isomers identified and characterized?

Linkage isomers can be identified and characterized using various analytical techniques such as infrared spectroscopy, nuclear magnetic resonance spectroscopy, and X-ray crystallography. These techniques can provide information about the molecular structure and bonding in the isomers, allowing for their differentiation.

What are some real-world applications of linkage isomers in complexes?

Linkage isomers in complexes have various real-world applications in fields such as catalysis, materials science, and bioinorganic chemistry. For example, the different structures of linkage isomers can result in different catalytic activities, making them useful in industrial processes. They can also be used in the development of new materials with specific properties or in the design of metal-based drugs for medical purposes.