Can diamagnetism be created electrically

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of creating diamagnetism electrically and the use of materials such as bismuth and pyrolytic carbon for a hovering magnetic sphere. The use of a copper coil and the effect of changing magnetic fields on diamagnetism are also mentioned. The conversation concludes with the suggestion of using a strong magnetic field for the desired effect.
Carl Sabel
I was wondering if diamagnetism can be created electrically or does the material have to be diamagnetic in nature?

Physics news on Phys.org
Carl Sabel said:
I was wondering if diamagnetism can be created electrically or does the material have to be diamagnetic in nature?
Welcome to the PF. :smile:

You mean just to be repelled by a magnetic field? An electromagnet can do that, given the right geometry for the setup. What do you have in mind?

berkeman said:
Welcome to the PF. :smile:

You mean just to be repelled by a magnetic field? An electromagnet can do that, given the right geometry for the setup. What do you have in mind?
I'm thinking about a hovering magnetic sphere but neither bismuth or pyrolytic carbon is strong enough. Maybe a copper coil would somehow do the job better. As liquid nitrogen can not be used no superconductors are used.

See the video in post #9 of this thread. https://www.physicsforums.com/threa...w-moving-piece-of-metal-static-magnet.924786/ This diamagnetic effect is the result of a changing magnetic field (from the falling magnet) so that tremendous electron currents occur in the copper, generating a magnetic field that repels the floating magnet. The diamagnetic effect in the static case, without a changing magnetic field to create the EMF that generates the currents in the copper, is very small, so that there isn't a static levitation, but it's interesting how the magnet floats down, instead of falling quickly.

Charles Link said:
See the video in post #9 of this thread. https://www.physicsforums.com/threa...w-moving-piece-of-metal-static-magnet.924786/ This diamagnetic effect is the result of a changing magnetic field (from the falling magnet) so that tremendous electron currents occur in the copper, generating a magnetic field that repels the floating magnet. The diamagnetic effect in the static case, without a changing magnetic field to create the EMF that generates the currents in the copper, is very small, so that there isn't a static levitation, but it's interesting how the magnet floats down, instead of falling quickly.
Oh thank you! Now I see what you mean.

As you can see in this: video, the magnetic field can get extremely strong so I believe I have found what I'm looking for. Thank you everyone, best regards Carl.

Likes Charles Link

1. What is diamagnetism and how is it different from other types of magnetism?

Diamagnetism is a type of magnetism that occurs in materials that do not have a permanent magnetic moment. This means that they are not naturally magnetic, but they can be temporarily magnetized when in the presence of an external magnetic field. This is different from ferromagnetism, in which materials have a permanent magnetic moment, and paramagnetism, in which materials are only weakly attracted to an external magnetic field.

2. Can diamagnetism be created electrically?

Yes, diamagnetism can be created electrically. When a material is placed in an external magnetic field, the electrons in the material will experience a force that causes them to move in a circular path. This movement of electrons creates a tiny magnetic field, which opposes the external magnetic field and causes the material to become temporarily magnetized.

3. What are some examples of materials that exhibit diamagnetism?

Some common examples of diamagnetic materials include water, gold, copper, and silver. These materials have no permanent magnetic moment and will only become weakly magnetized when placed in an external magnetic field. Other examples include wood, plastic, and most organic compounds.

4. Can the strength of diamagnetism be controlled?

Yes, the strength of diamagnetism can be controlled to some extent. The strength of the diamagnetic effect is dependent on the strength of the external magnetic field and the properties of the material. By varying these factors, the strength of diamagnetism can be increased or decreased.

5. What are some practical applications of diamagnetism?

Diamagnetism has several practical applications, such as in magnetic levitation systems, where the diamagnetic properties of materials are used to create a repulsive force between the material and a strong external magnetic field. It is also used in magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) machines, where the diamagnetic properties of human tissue are used to create detailed images of the body. Additionally, diamagnetic materials are used in some types of electronic devices and sensors.