Can Electrostatic Charge Attract Dust in a Household Environment?

In summary: It sounds like you are trying to create an "ionic filter" device. This is a common technology used in stores such as Sharper Image, where charged plates will attract dust and debris. This is the opposite functionality - you need to push dust away.
Air2air
What a great forum.

I'm prototyping a small hand-held 110V tool. I need to add an electrostatic discharge function to it. We have all seen the "Ionic filter" devices at Sharper Image, where the plates will charge and attract dust. This is the opposite functionality - I need to push dust away.

The discharge is needed to dislodge dust and other non-conductive debris that embeds in a filter screen. Just enough of a charge to kick dust and debris off of the surface of the screen. Can't use vacuum or any other method.

- Is it possible to get this functionality in a small enough size for a hand-held power tool?

- What are the best sources for electrostatic components?

Thanking you in advance!

Engineering news on Phys.org
Sounds difficult, once the dust has stuck to a surface the energy needed to unstick it is much greater than the very small energy needed to attract randomly floating dust in the air.

mgb_phys said:
Sounds difficult, once the dust has stuck to a surface the energy needed to unstick it is much greater than the very small energy needed to attract randomly floating dust in the air.

Thanks mgb_phys. By difficult do you mean needing a gigantic bank of capacitors, or possibly small and hand-held? Or impossible?

Don't know - to charge something floating in the air you only need to induce a very small charge in something that is well insulated.
If you charge a suface then presumably any dust on the surface will gain the same charge and should be repelled, the difficulty is in how it has stuck on.
If it is dry and has no chemical affinity ( so it could be blown off with say a gentle breath) then it might be fairly easy, if it wet or has chemically bonded on then it might be impossible.

Surfaces are sometimes charged to prvent dust landing but I haven't heard of a surface being cleaned by being charged.

hi,
I've been reading the thread of your conversation around electrostatic dust and I'm actually trying to find a way to attract small dust particles in a household environment.
i have no physics and no engineering skills whatsoever so this is all new to me, but what i am wanting to do is have a surface with a constant charge (in order that it always collect and continue to collect), so that small particles that come within its field will stay stuck to it.
how do i do this??
any help would be much appreciated.
thanks
dane

What is an electrostatic dust kicker?

An electrostatic dust kicker is a device used to remove dust and other small particles from surfaces by using an electrostatic charge.

How does an electrostatic dust kicker work?

An electrostatic dust kicker works by creating a static electric charge on a surface, which attracts dust and other particles. The device then uses a series of electrodes to release this charge in a controlled manner, effectively kicking the dust off the surface.

What are the benefits of using an electrostatic dust kicker?

Using an electrostatic dust kicker has several benefits, including being more efficient and environmentally friendly compared to traditional dusting methods. It also helps to reduce the amount of dust in the air, which can be beneficial for those with allergies or respiratory issues.

Are there any safety concerns when using an electrostatic dust kicker?

While electrostatic dust kickers are generally safe to use, it is important to follow the manufacturer's instructions and precautions. The device should not be used in areas with flammable materials, and care should be taken to avoid direct contact with the electrodes.

Can an electrostatic dust kicker be used on all types of surfaces?

Electrostatic dust kickers can be used on most surfaces, including electronics, furniture, and even fabrics. However, it is important to test the device on a small, inconspicuous area first to ensure that there is no damage or discoloration. Some surfaces, such as sensitive electronic equipment, may require a lower voltage setting to prevent damage.