Can Excel Handle Dynamic Ground Profile Simulations for Survey Computations?

In summary, the conversation discusses the best programming language to use for automating computations and simulating ground profiles. The person suggests using Excel or Visual Basic for Applications (VBA) which is already present in Excel. They also mention that VBA is similar to Visual Basic 6.0 but without the development environment. The person advises first writing a step by step algorithm before considering the programming language to use.
median27
My professor wanted us to create a program that will automate the computations for our leveling practices, e.g. Computing height of the instrument when elevation and backsight is given etc. that may be tabulated. I believe excel would be the best bet for that. But he also included that we must also simulate the profile of the ground surface relative to the tabulated data. That if he will change anything from the inputed data, there will be also a change in the simulated ground profile. (I hope you can visualize what i mean). Can excel perform the latter requirement? Or if not, would you recommend me another programming language that can do both?

P.S. I need a language that can be learned easily.

Thanks.

Engineering news on Phys.org
BASIC is about as easy as it gets. I suspect you could do it in EXCEL though, but I'm not familiar enough with EXCEL to state that with certainty.

You are eventually going to have to learn a modern language, which BASIC isn't. Modern BASIC is quite different that early BASIC, and I believe BASIC spun off of FORTRAN.

the VBA language behind Excel can do anything that any other computer language can do.

I'm not familiar with vba excel stuff. How can i use it in excel for simulation? But first of all, what is vba and how it operates?
Thanks.

Visual Basic for Applications is the VB6 programming language but rather than requireing a development enviornment, it runs inside all of the MS Office applications and can be used to extend their capabilities. That is its rasion d'etre, but it is a full programming language and can be used without regard for Office apps.

At one job where I worked, I could not get a dev. environment for VB, so I wrote small utilities in VBA inside Excel. I could have written large utilities had I needed to but didn't.

Since it's a full programming language, the learning curve is a bit steep if you are not familiar with programming BUT that's true of all languages. The simplest language is probabably the (now very primative) original BASIC, which MAY still be available for PCs.

About the vba, is it already present in excel or i still need to download it? Could you link some sites for downloading?

On the other side, I have a background on using visual basic 6.0.

I'm also wondering if i can make my project on vb. But the problem will be: if i will make a program, it can only be good for the computation of data (for a single run) and i don't know how to work on for the profile of the ground surface. That if i'll click the command button, both of the data will appear.

It's always present in Office, no download needed.

If you your project cannot be done in VBA, it cannot be done in any computer language.

If you don't know HOW to do your program in VBA, then you don't know how to do your program in ANY computer language.

What, exactly, is it that you don't know how to do?

Wait a minute, I'm a little bit confused regarding the visual-basic-6.0 program and the VBA in excel you're saying. Do they share the same language or not?

With regards to your last question. I have no knowledge of vb's overall application so i don't know if my project can be done on it. My further question would be, is it possible for me to perform it on vb6.0? If yes, how? My main problem is to show the two outputs ,i.e the automated computation and the profile of the ground surface(like a graph), on a single program.

VBA is VB6 without the Visual Studio dev enviornment.

If you know VB6, you know VBA, but you'll have to learn the environment a little bit. For example, creating controls is similar but not identical.

It doesn't sound, from your vague description, like it should be any problem to do it in VBA.

If you can't figure out how to do it in a computer language, then it doesn't matter what language you are thinking about so FORGET computers for a minute and see if you can write a step by step algorithm that does what you want.

Things like "draw a graph" are NOT a step. Too vague.

Related to Can Excel Handle Dynamic Ground Profile Simulations for Survey Computations?

1. What is computer programming language?

Computer programming language is a set of instructions used to create software and applications that run on computers. It is a way for humans to communicate with computers and tell them what to do.

2. How many types of computer programming languages are there?

There are thousands of computer programming languages, but the most commonly used ones are Java, C++, Python, JavaScript, and C#.

3. Is it necessary to learn multiple programming languages?

It is not necessary to learn multiple programming languages, but it can be beneficial as different languages are used for different purposes. For example, web development often requires knowledge of HTML, CSS, and JavaScript.

4. How long does it take to learn a programming language?

The time it takes to learn a programming language varies depending on the individual's learning style and dedication. Some people may be able to learn a language in a few months, while others may take years to master it.

5. Can I become a computer programmer without a degree?

While a degree in computer science or a related field can be helpful, it is not necessary to become a computer programmer. Many successful programmers are self-taught or have learned through online resources and coding bootcamps.