Can i cause NMR with a simple slayer exiter (Tesla coil)?

In summary, the Slayer Exciter Circuit is a crude, simpler version of the Tesla Coil that can ionize neon gas and argon. It can cause an observable Zeeman effect.
patric44
hello guys

i saw a slayer exciter circuit , witch is the crude more simpler version of the tesla coil
and i made it , it works quite well but i have some questions.
wF6ZyAd.png

some questions :

1 - how strong is the magnetic field caused by this tesla coil ? it can ionize neon gas , or argon ?
2 - i thought i would do some experiments with it and iam wodering can it cause NMR for water ?
3 - can it cause an observable zeeman effect i could detect with a spectrometer ?

Attachments

• b64nO.png
    b64nO.png
    8.7 KB · Views: 932
Physics news on Phys.org
any help !

patric44 said:
any help !

Well since you have "I" tagged your thread for university undergraduate education level
what research have you done so far ?

davenn said:
Well since you have "I" tagged your thread for university undergraduate education level
what research have you done so far ?

well, iam at my second year in collage so , don't have any researches yet.
but what's the big deal with the "i" !
i don't understand why you are bothered by the tag i did , insted of trying to help me with the question it self ?!

patric44 said:
but what's the big deal with the "i" !
i don't understand why you are bothered by the tag i did , insted of trying to help me with the question it self ?!
Because we expect folks to do some work on their own first to try to answer their question. We're happy to help if it's obvious that you have been doing some reading about this, and are stuck on one or two details.

What are the requirements for NMR? What magnitude of B-fields (AC, DC)? What frequencies are involved?

And isn't the point of a Tesla coil to make high voltages and electric fields? The B-field used in the transformer would seem to be secondary to that purpose (pardon the pun)...

berkeman said:
Because we expect folks to do some work on their own first to try to answer their question. We're happy to help if it's obvious that you have been doing some reading about this, and are stuck on one or two details.

What are the requirements for NMR? What magnitude of B-fields (AC, DC)? What frequencies are involved?

And isn't the point of a Tesla coil to make high voltages and electric fields? The B-field used in the transformer would seem to be secondary to that purpose (pardon the pun)...

first thank you berkeman

i tried to do some "work " but there is nothing online showing any details about the slayer exiter circuit exept it producing
a high frequency law current AC volage , there is no information about the frequency , the magnetude of the electric field ...
so i thought anyone here would have an idea.

perhaps my NMR question was not clear , iam was just asking can the magnetic field be strong enough to cause the proton in the water to flip its spin ?
or do some sup atomic effects like the zeeman effect ? or any thing usefull ?

"And isn't the point of a Tesla coil to make high voltages and electric fields? The B-field used in the transformer would seem to be secondary"

i think it has a relativly strong magnetic field i have been able to ionize neon gas in an indicator , and argon gas ?!

patric44 said:
i have been able to ionize neon gas in an indicator , and argon gas ?!
It's the electric field that is doing the ionization, not the B-field. With a small air-core transformer, I would not expect the B-field to be very strong. I'll have to review NMR a bit to be able to comment on what the minimum field strengths are...

From: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nuclear_magnetic_resonance
The principle of NMR usually involves two sequential steps:

• The alignment (polarization) of the magnetic nuclear spins in an applied, constant magnetic field B0.
  • The perturbation of this alignment of the nuclear spins by employing an electro-magnetic, usually radio frequency (RF) pulse. The required perturbing frequency is dependent upon the static magnetic field (H0) and the nuclei of observation.
The RF frequencies used for the varying B-field are well above where your Slayer Exciter circuit is running, and the DC and AC B-fields are much stronger than what you will get with the air-core transformer.

To observe the B-field at your frequencies, you could see how many turns of wire it takes to light up an LED. The E-field will not be able to light the LED, only the B-field piercing the LED coil will generate a differential current to light the LED. :smile:

https://cdn.instructables.com/F32/W36R/HZ6T96H4/F32W36RHZ6T96H4.MEDIUM.jpg
F32W36RHZ6T96H4.MEDIUM.jpg

1. Can a simple slayer exiter (Tesla coil) generate NMR signals?

No, a simple slayer exiter (Tesla coil) is not capable of generating the radio frequency (RF) pulses needed for NMR measurements. NMR signals require a specific frequency range (typically in the MHz range) and precise timing, which cannot be achieved by a simple Tesla coil.

2. What is the difference between a Tesla coil and an NMR spectrometer?

A Tesla coil is an electrical resonant transformer circuit that is used to produce high-voltage, low-current, high-frequency alternating-current electricity. An NMR spectrometer, on the other hand, is a highly specialized instrument designed to generate and detect the RF pulses needed for NMR measurements. It also has other components such as magnets, detectors, and data acquisition systems.

3. Can a Tesla coil be modified to function as an NMR spectrometer?

No, a Tesla coil cannot be modified to function as an NMR spectrometer. The two have very different purposes and design principles. An NMR spectrometer requires a highly precise and controlled environment, which cannot be achieved by a Tesla coil.

4. Are there any risks involved in using a Tesla coil for NMR experiments?

Yes, there are several risks involved in using a Tesla coil for NMR experiments. One major risk is the high voltage and current produced by the Tesla coil, which can be dangerous if proper precautions are not taken. Additionally, the Tesla coil may not generate the precise RF pulses required for NMR measurements, leading to inaccurate results.

5. What are the limitations of using a Tesla coil for NMR experiments?

Using a Tesla coil for NMR experiments has several limitations. As mentioned before, a Tesla coil cannot generate the precise RF pulses needed for NMR measurements. It also lacks the necessary components and control systems found in an NMR spectrometer, making it unsuitable for most NMR experiments. Additionally, a Tesla coil may not have the necessary sensitivity to detect weak NMR signals, making it limited in its applications.