Can I covert magnetic energy to electrical energy?

In summary: If there is not much energy in a magnet then, how can it pull things toward it for 300 years?Remember that work is not just a force, it is a force times a distance (##W=\mathbf{f}\cdot\mathbf{d}##). So it is not enough just to exert a force for 300 years, it must exert a force on something in the direction that it moves for 300 years. That doesn't happen. A magnet can exert a force on a piece of iron, and while the iron is away from the magnet it can move towards it and work can be done. As it moves towards the magnet, the magnetic field is reduced (per Poy
Ferdous Hossain
Hello

Before I start, I would like to clarify that I know Perpetual Motion is not possible & Energy can neither be created nor destroyed, But Can be change from one form to another.

That's exactly my point. If I could convert energy from one to another, then why couldn't I just harness energy from a magnet. A Neodymium magnet(N52) can last roughly for 300 years. Why is it so impossible to get any power from a magnet.

Thank you all...

Physics news on Phys.org
Ferdous Hossain said:
Hello

Before I start, I would like to clarify that I know Perpetual Motion is not possible & Energy can neither be created nor destroyed, But Can be change from one form to another.

That's exactly my point. If I could convert energy from one to another, then why couldn't I just harness energy from a magnet. A Neodymium magnet(N52) can last roughly for 300 years. Why is it so impossible to get any power from a magnet.

Thank you all...
Because electrical energy can only be created by a change in magnetic field. The magnet has to be moving in some manner to produce electricity. One method to do this is a water wheel and attaching a magnet to it. This is the concept of hydroelectric energy.

lekh2003 said:
Because electrical energy can only be created by a change in magnetic field. The magnet has to be moving in some manner to produce electricity. One method to do this is a water wheel and attaching a magnet to it. This is the concept of hydroelectric energy.
ok. But why the magnetic field have to be a rotating one?
why a still magnetic field can't do it?

Ferdous Hossain said:
ok. But why the magnetic field have to be a rotating one?
why a still magnetic field can't do it?
I'm not sure. The empirical results showed that magnetic flux generated a current, but not a plain magnetic field.

Ferdous Hossain said:
But Can be change from one form to another.

That's exactly my point. If I could convert energy from one to another, then why couldn't I just harness energy from a magnet.
Energy can be converted from one form to another, and it can be converted from magnetic to electrical. However, there is not very much energy in a typical magnet and in order to extract it you must reduce the magnetic field. If the magnetic field is not reduced then no energy has been extracted from it.

The explanation why is fairly straightforward, but it involves vector calculus. So I don’t think that I can do it at a B level, it is I material.

Last edited:
Dale said:
Energy can be converted from one form to another, and it can be converted from magnetic to electrical. However, there is not very much energy in a typical magnet and in order to extract it you must reduce the magnetic field. If the magnetic field is not reduced then no energy has been extracted from it.

The explanation why is fairly straightforward, but it involves vector calculus. So I don’t think that I can do it at a B level, it is I material.

My brother have graduated this year. so, he can explain it to me. Please explain it & what did you mean by reducing magnetic field. If there is not much energy in a magnet then, how can it pull things toward it for 300 years?

Ferdous Hossain said:
My brother have graduated this year. so, he can explain it to me. Please explain it & what did you mean by reducing magnetic field.
OK, your brother needs to explain Poynting's theorem to you:
$$\frac{1}{2}\frac{\partial}{\partial t}\left(\epsilon_0 \mathbf{E}\cdot\mathbf{E} + \frac{1}{\mu_0}\mathbf{B}\cdot\mathbf{B}\right)+\frac{1}{\mu_0}\nabla \cdot (\mathbf{E}\times\mathbf{B}) + \mathbf{J}\cdot\mathbf{E}=0$$
The magnetic energy is the ##\mathbf{B}\cdot\mathbf{B}## term. The only way to convert energy from the magnetic field to one of the other forms is to reduce it.

Ferdous Hossain said:
If there is not much energy in a magnet then, how can it pull things toward it for 300 years?
Remember that work is not just a force, it is a force times a distance (##W=\mathbf{f}\cdot\mathbf{d}##). So it is not enough just to exert a force for 300 years, it must exert a force on something in the direction that it moves for 300 years. That doesn't happen.

A magnet can exert a force on a piece of iron, and while the iron is away from the magnet it can move towards it and work can be done. As it moves towards the magnet, the magnetic field is reduced (per Poynting's theorem), but once the iron reaches the magnet it stops moving, the work stops, and the reduction of the field stops. In order to do work on the iron again, it must first be pulled away from the magnet via some external force, work is done on the field by the external force, and the field is increased. The 300 year supply of force is not a 300 year supply of energy, the energy needs to be replenished via the external force every time work is done.

Last edited:
Likes Ferdous Hossain
Ferdous Hossain said:
Because it only lasts 300 years if you aren't using its energy up!

Likes Ferdous Hossain
Dale said:
OK, your brother needs to explain Poynting's theorem to you:
$$\frac{1}{2}\frac{\partial}{\partial t}\left(\epsilon_0 \mathbf{E}\cdot\mathbf{E} + \frac{1}{\mu_0}\mathbf{B}\cdot\mathbf{B}\right)+\frac{1}{\mu_0}\nabla \cdot (\mathbf{E}\times\mathbf{B}) + \mathbf{J}\cdot\mathbf{E}=0$$
The magnetic energy is the ##\mathbf{B}\cdot\mathbf{B}## term. The only way to convert energy from the magnetic field to one of the other forms is to reduce it.

Remember that work is not just a force, it is a force times a distance (##W=\mathbf{f}\cdot\mathbf{d}##). So it is not enough just to exert a force for 300 years, it must exert a force on something in the direction that it moves for 300 years. That doesn't happen.

A magnet can exert a force on a piece of iron, and while the iron is away from the magnet it can move towards it and work can be done. As it moves towards the magnet, the magnetic field is reduced (per Poynting's theorem), but once the iron reaches the magnet it stops moving, the work stops, and the reduction of the field stops. In order to do work on the iron again, it must first be pulled away from the magnet via some external force, work is done on the field by the external force, and the field is increased. The 300 year supply of force is not a 300 year supply of energy, the energy needs to be replenished via the external force every time work is done.
Thank you very much...
Though it was one of my childhood dream to make something like that, now it completely makes sense...

Likes Dale
russ_watters said:
Because it only lasts 300 years if you aren't using its energy up!

Thank you very much...

1. Can magnetic energy be converted to electrical energy?

Yes, magnetic energy can be converted to electrical energy through a process called electromagnetic induction. This involves moving a conductor through a magnetic field to create an electric current.

2. How efficient is the conversion of magnetic energy to electrical energy?

The efficiency of the conversion depends on various factors such as the strength of the magnetic field, the design of the generator, and the speed of movement of the conductor. Generally, the efficiency ranges from 50-90%.

3. What are the applications of converting magnetic energy to electrical energy?

The conversion of magnetic energy to electrical energy is used in various devices such as generators, motors, transformers, and power plants. It is also used in renewable energy sources like hydroelectric and wind power.

4. Can magnetic energy be stored as electrical energy?

No, magnetic energy cannot be stored as electrical energy. However, once converted, electrical energy can be stored in batteries or capacitors for later use.

5. Are there any limitations to converting magnetic energy to electrical energy?

Yes, there are limitations to the conversion of magnetic energy to electrical energy. These include the availability of a strong and steady magnetic field, the cost of building and maintaining generators, and the environmental impact of using large-scale power plants.