Can I Read Road to Reality Without Calculus?

In summary, the speaker is asking for advice on whether they should read "Road to Reality" by Roger Penrose, despite not having a strong background in advanced math. They are interested in understanding science at a mathematical level and are wondering if they can supplement their understanding with other sources if needed. The speaker suggests starting with a first read of the book and then going back to fill in any gaps in understanding with additional sources. They believe this method may be more effective in understanding the material.
Liger20
Hello, I have a question for those of you who have read Road to Reality by Roger Penrose. I've been debating on whether or not I should read this book for ages. I have always wanted to understand science at a mathematical level rather than just a popular science and conceptual level. The thing is that I'm a senior in high school and I haven't had any math classes that are particularly advanced. I never took calculus, which I reget, but I did take a class called advanced functions. I guess in a way that class was basically like a precalculus class, but we did a lot of really random things too. I'm also taking physics right now, and I love it. Anyway, I by no means believe that these simple high school math classes are enough to get me through the mathematics in Road to Reality, but I was just wondering if it could ever be possible to read through the book and learn the math from various other sources as I go (Demystified books, Idiots guide books etc). Would this ever be possible or would it be suicide to even attempt it? If it is possible, are there any beginning books on math that I should start with? If it would be suicide, are there any books that explain the math behind this sort of science that are easier?

Physics news on Phys.org
You can just start reading it and then read other sources if you encounter something you don'd understand. Instead of distraction of reading other long books (since you don't know when you will finish them and finally get to the Road to Reality), at the first read you can just skip the mathematics you don't understand since the more you read the more you have chances to understand the things you skipped on the second read. I find it actually helps. The reason may be that your brain is secretly processing the things you struggled to understand or actually because you ave read more so the later part of the book helps to understand some of the earlier part.

While it is possible to read Road to Reality without a strong foundation in calculus, it may be challenging and require additional resources to understand the mathematical concepts presented in the book. It is commendable that you have a strong interest in understanding science at a mathematical level, but it is important to have a solid understanding of calculus before attempting to tackle the advanced topics in Road to Reality.

If you are determined to read the book without prior knowledge of calculus, it would be helpful to supplement your reading with other resources such as Demystified books or Idiots guide books. These resources can provide a basic understanding of the mathematical concepts and help you grasp the more complex ideas presented in Road to Reality.

However, it is important to note that reading Road to Reality without a strong foundation in calculus may not give you a complete understanding of the material. It would be beneficial to start with introductory math books and build a strong foundation in calculus before attempting to read Road to Reality.

There are also other books available that explain the math behind scientific concepts in a more accessible way. These books may be a better starting point for someone without a strong background in calculus. Some recommendations include "A Brief History of Time" by Stephen Hawking and "The Elegant Universe" by Brian Greene.

In conclusion, while it may be possible to read Road to Reality without calculus, it would be beneficial to have a strong foundation in calculus and supplement your reading with other resources. It is important to build a solid understanding of mathematics before attempting to understand advanced scientific concepts.

1. Can I understand Road to Reality without knowing calculus?

The short answer is no. The book is written for readers with a solid understanding of calculus. It contains advanced mathematical concepts that require a strong foundation in calculus to fully comprehend.

2. Do I need to know any other advanced math before reading Road to Reality?

Yes, calculus is not the only prerequisite for understanding Road to Reality. It also covers topics in linear algebra, differential equations, and complex analysis. It is recommended to have a working knowledge of these subjects before diving into the book.

3. Is Road to Reality suitable for beginner readers?

No, the book is not recommended for beginners. It is a comprehensive and rigorous exploration of modern physics and mathematics and can be overwhelming for readers without a strong background in these subjects.

4. Can I use Road to Reality as a textbook for a physics or mathematics course?

Road to Reality is not designed to be a textbook. It is a popular science book that aims to provide a comprehensive overview of modern physics and mathematics. While it can be a valuable supplement to a course, it is not a substitute for a textbook.

5. Is Road to Reality a challenging read?

Yes, Road to Reality is a challenging read. It contains advanced mathematical concepts and requires a high level of concentration and focus to fully understand. However, it is also a rewarding and enlightening experience for those who are up for the challenge.