Can I Save Private Messages as a PDF with Math Equations Included?

• Thread starter bob012345
  • Start date
In summary, there are various ways to save private messages as a PDF file, including printing to a PDF "printer" and using specific programs depending on the operating system. However, there may be issues with preserving mathematical notation in the saved file.
bob012345
Gold Member
Is there an easy way one can save their private messages to a pdf file for a permanent record? I mean the entire conversation including all the math? Thanks.

Likes symbolipoint
Physics news on Phys.org
Print to file? Depending on your OS you may need a program (we used to have Adobe Acrobat at work - the full version, not just Reader) to provide a "printer" that creates files.

Ibix said:
Print to file? Depending on your OS you may need a program (we used to have Adobe Acrobat at work - the full version, not just Reader) to provide a "printer" that creates files.
Lots of programs able to handle pdf's can print them out. In Apple-land print to file is a system thing and available everywhere.

BillTre said:
Lots of programs able to handle pdf's can print them out.
Indeed. Google is your friend here.

Likes BillTre
Of course if I have a file I can make a pdf but just cutting and pasting my posts does not keep the LaTeX formatting intact. What I want is to save an entire conversation directly into a readable file keeping all the mathematical notation intact. If it is not possible now could it be possible in the future?

What I am doing is using the PM system as a venue to teach my nephew some math and there is a limit to the number of PM's allowed so I thought I could save the conversation and then delete it from the PM system and start again.

I think you're missing the point of the suggestion. If your OS and/or installed programs support it, you view the first page of your conversation and click print in your browser. You select the PDF "printer" and it produces a PDF file version of the page which you can save somewhere. Go to the next page of conversation, rinse and repeat. No cutting and pasting necessary.

BillTre says Macs can do this natively and I think Linux does it too. I've done it on a Windows machine with the full Acrobat installed, and I'm sure with a bit of Googling you can find free programs that do it.

Likes BillTre and bob012345
Ibix said:
I think you're missing the point of the suggestion. If your OS and/or installed programs support it, you view the first page of your conversation and click print in your browser. You select the PDF "printer" and it produces a PDF file version of the page which you can save somewhere. Go to the next page of conversation, rinse and repeat. No cutting and pasting necessary.

BillTre says Macs can do this natively and I think Linux does it too. I've done it on a Windows machine with the full Acrobat installed, and I'm sure with a bit of Googling you can find free programs that do it.
Ok, thanks.

Likes Ibix
Ok, thanks, I tried that and it works but it seems to leave some of my LaTeX equations. I'm working on figuring that out now.

Last edited:

1. Can I save private messages as a PDF with math equations included?

Yes, it is possible to save private messages as a PDF with math equations included. However, the method may vary depending on the platform or application you are using to send and receive the messages.

2. Do I need any special software to save private messages as a PDF with math equations included?

In most cases, you will need a PDF converter or a document editing software that supports equation formatting. Some platforms or applications may have built-in features that allow you to save messages as a PDF with equations included.

3. Will the equations be preserved accurately in the PDF format?

It depends on the platform or application you are using. Some may have better equation formatting capabilities than others. It is always recommended to double-check the PDF file to ensure that the equations are preserved accurately.

4. Can I edit the equations in the PDF file after saving it?

Again, it depends on the software or application you are using. Some may allow you to edit the equations, while others may only allow you to view them. It is best to check the features of the software or application before saving the PDF file.

5. Is it possible to save multiple messages as a single PDF file with equations?

Yes, it is possible to save multiple messages as a single PDF file with equations included. However, the method may vary depending on the platform or application you are using. Some may have a bulk saving feature, while others may require you to save each message individually.