Can I send an electromagnetic wave to a specific point?

In summary, the person is asking if it is possible to create and send an electromagnetic wave to a specific point in a room with a margin of error of 1cm, using a frequency range of 250khz - 500khz. However, this is not possible due to constraints in beamwidth and the only feasible option would be to use a laser.
nlopwer
TL;DR Summary
I want to know if it is possible to make and send an electromagnetic wave to a specific point in a room.
Since I'm computer engineer and don't have much experiences with electromagnetism, I'd like to know if it is possible to make an electromagnetic signal (250khz - 500khz) and send it to a point (with an error of maximum 1cm) in a room. If yes which devices do I need to setup my experiment?

Physics news on Phys.org
Your problem is ill-defined. Do you want a single frequency? Do you want signal zero outside yourr 1cm?
Why don't you take a step back and describe what you are actually attempting to do.

Likes Orodruin, topsquark and Ibix
nlopwer said:
TL;DR Summary: I want to know if it is possible to make and send an electromagnetic wave to a specific point in a room.

Since I'm computer engineer and don't have much experiences with electromagnetism, I'd like to know if it is possible to make an electromagnetic signal (250khz - 500khz) and send it to a point (with an error of maximum 1cm) in a room. If yes which devices do I need to setup my experiment?

As Hutch said ... you problem is a bit il-defined
But going on what you have stated so far, the answer would be, no.
A signal somewhere in the range of 250 - 500 kHz, the radio/EM signal is going to
propagate out in many/all directions from the antenna ( depending on the style of antenna)
Making a direction antenna for such a low frequency would be near impossible.
The higher the frequency, the easier it is to make a signal directional, but even up into
the 10's of GHz, it's still going to be a very broad beamwidth over the distance of an average room
between the TX and RX. Really narrow beamwidth wouldn't really come into a usable possibility
till freq's in the 100's of GHz - THz range.

The ONLY way that it would be possible, off the top of my head aware of for such a narrow constraint in beamwidth, a cm or so would be a laser. Anything considerably lower in frequency than that of ""light"" IR, VIS or UV, via a collimating lens, is going to spread out and pretty much fill the room.

cheers
Dave

Last edited:
Likes berkeman, hutchphd and Ibix
It's rather like shining a light down a microscope to create a small spot. We can't make the spot much smaller than the wavelength, which in the present case is in the order of 1 km.

Likes hutchphd

1. How can I send an electromagnetic wave to a specific point?

To send an electromagnetic wave to a specific point, you will need to use a transmitting antenna. The antenna converts electrical signals into electromagnetic waves, which can then be directed towards a specific location.

2. Can I control the direction of the electromagnetic wave?

Yes, the direction of the electromagnetic wave can be controlled by adjusting the shape and orientation of the transmitting antenna. This allows for precise targeting of a specific point.

3. Is it possible to send an electromagnetic wave to a specific point without any interference?

In theory, it is possible to send an electromagnetic wave to a specific point without any interference. However, in practice, there may be external factors such as other electromagnetic waves or obstacles that can affect the transmission.

4. What factors can affect the accuracy of sending an electromagnetic wave to a specific point?

The accuracy of sending an electromagnetic wave to a specific point can be affected by factors such as the frequency and power of the wave, the distance to the target point, and any obstacles or interference in the transmission path.

5. Are there any limitations to sending an electromagnetic wave to a specific point?

There are some limitations to sending an electromagnetic wave to a specific point, such as the distance and line of sight between the transmitting antenna and the target point. Additionally, the accuracy of the transmission may decrease with increasing distance and obstacles in the transmission path.