Can I store a neodymium magnet in a freezer?

In summary, permanent magnets are made of ferromagnetic material and lose their magnetization above the Curie temperature due to thermal energy. Storing them in a freezer or below room temperature will not prevent loss of magnetization. It is important to keep them below 100°C for short periods to maintain their strength.
rohit dutta
Well, permanent magnets are made of ferromagnetic material. These magnets lose permanent magnetization above the Curie temperature(on heating) and behave as paramagnetic materials. The reason is thermal energy. The magnetic moments lose their initial configuration and no longer remain aligned with each other. This reduces it's overall strength.

Can I place my magnets in a freezer to ensure no loss in magnetization?

Physics news on Phys.org
It's not clear why you are concerned about loss of magnetization. The Curie Point, the temperature at which magnetization of a substance is lost, is well over 900 C for Nd magnets and 1000 C for iron magnets. As long as you aren't wandering around on the surface of Venus or Mercury, your magnets should be good to go at room temp.

Nd magnets in freezer

Yes, you can store them in a freezer. This will be no different from storing them at room temperature with respect to their losing their magnetic strength over time.

Nd:Fe:B magnets have different Curie temperatures depending on their specific formulation. The ones with the highest field strength tend to have lower Curie temperatures. If you're building systems that incorporate rare Earth magnets (at least the Nd based magnets I'm familiar with), you should ensure they don't get above 100°C for short periods (think a few minutes). A good engineering design rule is to limit them to 80°C.

Storing them in a freezer, or anywhere below normal ambient temperature, will have no benefit and probably isn't worth the effort.

Magnets that are brittle may shatter when subjected to rapid temperature changes.

No, storing a neodymium magnet in a freezer will not prevent loss of magnetization. The Curie temperature for neodymium magnets is around 310°C, which is well above the freezing point of water. Freezing a neodymium magnet will not lower its temperature enough to prevent loss of magnetization. In fact, extreme cold temperatures can actually cause the magnet to become brittle and potentially damage it. It is best to store neodymium magnets at room temperature to ensure their long-term stability and strength.

1. Can I store a neodymium magnet in a freezer?

Yes, you can store a neodymium magnet in a freezer. Neodymium magnets are not affected by cold temperatures and can actually maintain their strength and magnetic properties in subzero temperatures.

2. Will storing a neodymium magnet in a freezer affect its strength or magnetic properties?

No, storing a neodymium magnet in a freezer will not affect its strength or magnetic properties. In fact, it can help to preserve the magnet's strength and prevent it from demagnetizing over time.

3. How long can I store a neodymium magnet in a freezer?

You can store a neodymium magnet in a freezer for an indefinite amount of time. As long as the temperature remains consistently below freezing, the magnet will not be affected.

4. Are there any special precautions I should take when storing a neodymium magnet in a freezer?

Yes, when storing a neodymium magnet in a freezer, it is important to keep it away from any other metal objects. Neodymium magnets are extremely strong and can easily attract other metal objects, potentially causing damage.

5. Can I use a neodymium magnet immediately after taking it out of the freezer?

Yes, you can use a neodymium magnet immediately after taking it out of the freezer. The cold temperature will not affect its performance and it can be used right away without any adverse effects.