Can I Use a PIR Sensor to Enhance My Surveillance System Camera?

In summary, the conversation discusses building a surveillance system using a PIR sensor to detect motion and send an alert message through SMS. The system will also allow the owner to view live footage and take pictures or record videos using an Android application. The problem is finding suitable hardware, such as a GSM module or 3G dongle, to connect the microcontroller 8051 to the internet and support the real-time application. The discussion also suggests using Raspberry Pi or Arduino microcontrollers and considering using an existing system like Synology Surveillance Station and modifying it to add extra features.
mickey25
Hello everyone.i need your help to give the advice about my project.i want to make a surveillance system camera that can be monitor in anywhere.i will describe about my project. i am using pir sensor to detect the human.so when pir sensor detect someone , it will be sent the alert message through sms to owner. when that happen, owner will open the android to view what camera is recorded in real time.on the application, owner can take a picture or record the video. i want to using microcontroller 8051. the system like a e camera but want to add new features like sent the sms to owner. so owner can watch in real time. i want to increase the distance.so owner can watch anywhere through android application.so the problem is the hardware. i don't what suitable hardware that can be connect the microcontroller8051 to the internet that can be support my real time application.gsm module or 3G dongle that suitable to use?

Engineering news on Phys.org
mickey25 said:
Hello everyone.i need your help to give the advice about my project.i want to make a surveillance system camera that can be monitor in anywhere.i will describe about my project. i am using pir sensor to detect the human.so when pir sensor detect someone , it will be sent the alert message through sms to owner. when that happen, owner will open the android to view what camera is recorded in real time.on the application, owner can take a picture or record the video. i want to using microcontroller 8051. the system like a e camera but want to add new features like sent the sms to owner. so owner can watch in real time. i want to increase the distance.so owner can watch anywhere through android application.so the problem is the hardware. i don't what suitable hardware that can be connect the microcontroller8051 to the internet that can be support my real time application.gsm module or 3G dongle that suitable to use?
Have a look at Raspberry Pi and Arduino microcontrollers...

mickey25 said:
i don't what suitable hardware that can be connect the microcontroller8051 to the internet that can be support my real time application.gsm module or 3G dongle that suitable to use?
You have certainly taken on a long and complex project here.

There are two quite separate problems. One is detection with a PIR sensor, then sending the sms, the other is sending the pictures over the net. Both those problems have been solved many times, with the systems available as cheap commodities made in China.

Why do you insist on using an 8051 micro ?
Why do you insist on doing it all yourself ?

Likes berkeman
When I get chance I'm also planning to modify a camera system. Mine is based on Synology Surveillance Station (SS) running on a Synology NAS. It does 99% of the hard work for you.

As others have said it's a lot of work to write such a program from scratch. However if you are looking for a "project" then programs like SS have an API you can use to bolt on extra features. You can tell SS to start recording from a particular camera by sending the server a carefully crafted "web page request" over the network.

I get a lot of false triggers due to spiders and shadows triggering the motion detection. I'd like to switch to PIR sensors but my cameras don't have an alarm input. So I'm investigating connecting a PIR sensor to something like a Rasberry Pi that will send the necessary "page request" to the server to trigger recording.

That's a much more manageable project than writing a whole system from scratch.

1. What is a surveillance system camera?

A surveillance system camera is a device that captures and records video footage of a specific area, typically used for security purposes. It can be connected to a central monitoring system or operated remotely.

2. How does a surveillance system camera work?

A surveillance system camera uses a lens to capture images and a sensor to convert them into electronic signals. These signals are then processed and recorded onto a storage device, such as a hard drive or cloud storage, for viewing and review.

3. What are the different types of surveillance system cameras?

There are several types of surveillance system cameras, including dome, bullet, PTZ (pan-tilt-zoom), and thermal cameras. Dome cameras are discreet and can rotate 360 degrees, bullet cameras are long and cylindrical, PTZ cameras can be manually controlled to pan, tilt, and zoom, and thermal cameras detect heat signatures.

4. Are surveillance system cameras legal?

In most cases, surveillance system cameras are legal as long as they are used for legitimate security purposes and do not infringe on the privacy of others. However, it is important to check and comply with any local laws and regulations regarding surveillance cameras.

5. How can surveillance system cameras benefit businesses?

Surveillance system cameras can benefit businesses in several ways. They can deter theft and vandalism, monitor employee behavior and productivity, provide evidence in case of a crime, and help improve overall security and safety in the workplace.

Back