Can k be equal to 4 in the equation k + 2 = 3^(n)?

• MHB
  • Thread starter mathdad
  • Start date
In summary, we are given the equation k + 2 = 3^(n), where n is a positive integer. We are asked to determine which of the given values for k (1, 4, 7, 25, 79) could not be a solution. After considering each value, we can conclude that k = 4 is not a possible solution, as there is no power of 3 that will yield 6 when added to 2. Therefore, the answer is B or 4.
mathdad
If n is a positive integer and k + 2 = 3^(n), which of the following could NOT be a value of k?

A. 1
B. 4
C. 7
D. 25
E. 79

I say the answer is B or 4.

When k = 4, k + 2 becomes 6.
However, there is no power we can raised 3 to that will yield 6.

Is my reasoning correct?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
RTCNTC said:
If n is a positive integer and k + 2 = 3^(n), which of the following could NOT be a value of k?

A. 1
B. 4
C. 7
D. 25
E. 79

I say the answer is B or 4.

When k = 4, k + 2 becomes 6.
However, there is no power we can raised 3 to that will yield 6.

Is my reasoning correct?
Looks good to me!

-Dan

Or since 3^(n) is odd, then k can't be 4.

What is the meaning of "k" in the equation?

The variable "k" represents the unknown value that we are trying to find in the equation.

What is the value of "n" in the equation?

The variable "n" represents the exponent in the exponential term, which is 3^(n).

What is the purpose of finding "k" in this equation?

Finding the value of "k" allows us to solve for a specific solution to the equation and understand the relationship between the variables in the equation.

What is the process for solving this equation?

To solve for "k", we need to isolate it on one side of the equation. This can be done by subtracting 2 from both sides and then taking the logarithm of both sides with a base of 3. This will give us the value of "n" and we can then substitute it back into the original equation to find the value of "k".

Can this equation be solved for other variables?

Yes, depending on the given information, we can solve for any of the variables in the equation by isolating it and using appropriate mathematical operations.