Can Light Experience Doppler-Equivalent Slingshotting Near Massive Bodies?

• Thread starter DaveC426913
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Light
In summary, the conversation discussed whether light passing close to a massive body would experience the Doppler-equivalent of slingshotting and the conclusion was that it would due to the elastic collision between the light and the mass. It was also discussed that in this scenario, the light passing through the trailing path of a moving object would appear slightly blue-shifted compared to light passing at a distance from the mass.
DaveC426913
Gold Member
Someone asked an intriguing question:
Does light passing close to a massive body experience the Doppler-equivalent of slingshotting?
i.e. blue-shifted or red-shifted, depending on its path?
(I guess the light would be acting as the third body in a three-body system?)

Likes hutchphd
Science news on Phys.org
DaveC426913 said:
Someone asked an intriguing question:
A friend of a friend, I suppose...? :wink:

DaveC426913 said:
Does light passing close to a massive body experience the Doppler-equivalent of slingshotting?
It must since the slingshotting is just an elastic collision and the interaction would have to be elastic wouldn’t it?

berkeman said:
A friend of a friend, I suppose...? :wink:
Somebody on another forum. I didn't have a good answer for him, so I came to the 'sperts.

Dale said:
It must since the slingshotting is just an elastic collision and the interaction would have to be elastic wouldn’t it?
So, to be clear, what we're giving a thumbs-up to here is that light passing through the trailing path of a moving object, such as Jupiter or a galaxy, would appear slightly blue-shifted compared to light passing at a distance from the mass.

The light would steal a bit of momentum from the mass, slowing it down, while the light, in-turn, up-shifted.

1. Can light be affected by gravity?

Yes, according to Einstein's theory of general relativity, light is affected by gravity. This means that light can be bent or deflected by the gravitational pull of massive objects, such as stars or black holes.

2. Is it possible for light to be accelerated?

No, according to the laws of physics, light always travels at a constant speed of approximately 300,000 kilometers per second. This speed is known as the speed of light and cannot be increased or decreased.

3. Can light be used to create a slingshot effect?

Technically, yes. The slingshot effect, also known as the gravitational assist, is a technique used by spacecraft to gain speed and change direction by utilizing the gravitational pull of planets. However, the effect is not significant enough to be noticeable with light.

4. Does light experience time dilation?

Yes, according to Einstein's theory of relativity, time can be dilated or slowed down for objects traveling at high speeds. Since light always travels at the speed of light, time does not pass for light, making it timeless.

5. Can light be affected by other forces besides gravity?

Yes, light can be affected by other forces, such as electric and magnetic fields. This is known as electromagnetic force and is responsible for the behavior of light in different mediums, such as air, water, or glass.