Can $\mathbb{Z}[\sqrt{-3}]$ Be Proven as a Principal Ideal Domain?

In summary, the conversation discusses the attempt to prove that a prime number of the form p=x^2 + 3y^2 if p is congruent to 1 mod 3. It is suggested to set p=3n+a, where a=1 or 2, and it is shown that x^2 is congruent to a mod 3 only if a=1. However, the problem of proving that Z[sqrt(-3)] is a principal ideal domain remains unsolved. It is mentioned that Z[sqrt(-3)] is not a PID as it is not a unique factorization domain.
javi410
Hi,
Im trying to prove that a prime $p\neq 3$ is of the form $p=x^2 + 3y^2$ if $p \equiv 1 \pmod{3}$.

I have think in a prove as follows:
As we know that $-3$ is a quadratic residue mod p, we know that the ideal $(p)$ must divide $(x^2 + 3) = (x + \sqrt{-3})(x - \sqrt{-3})$ in the ring $\mathbb{Z}[\sqrt{-3}]$.
$p$ don't divide any of the factors so it can not be prime in $\mathbb{Z}[\sqrt{-3}]$, so there are ideals $I,J$ of $\mathbb{Z}[\sqrt{-3}]$ such that
\[
(p) = I\cdot J
\]
and, if we prove that $\mathbb{Z}[\sqrt{-3}]$ is a PID, we have the result as we can take elements $u,v$ of $I$ and $J$ such that $u\cdot v$ has norm $p^2$, therefore the norm of $u = a^2 + b\sqrt{-3}$ is $p =a^2 + 3b^2$.

The problem is that I don't know how to prove that $\mathbb{Z}[\sqrt{-3}]$ is a PID.

Thanks!

Mathematics news on Phys.org
javi410 said:
Hi,
Im trying to prove that a prime $p\neq 3$ is of the form $p=x^2 + 3y^2$ if $p \equiv 1 \pmod{3}$.

I have think in a prove as follows:
As we know that $-3$ is a quadratic residue mod p, we know that the ideal $(p)$ must divide $(x^2 + 3) = (x + \sqrt{-3})(x - \sqrt{-3})$ in the ring $\mathbb{Z}[\sqrt{-3}]$.
$p$ don't divide any of the factors so it can not be prime in $\mathbb{Z}[\sqrt{-3}]$, so there are ideals $I,J$ of $\mathbb{Z}[\sqrt{-3}]$ such that
\[
(p) = I\cdot J
\]
and, if we prove that $\mathbb{Z}[\sqrt{-3}]$ is a PID, we have the result as we can take elements $u,v$ of $I$ and $J$ such that $u\cdot v$ has norm $p^2$, therefore the norm of $u = a^2 + b\sqrt{-3}$ is $p =a^2 + 3b^2$.

The problem is that I don't know how to prove that $\mathbb{Z}[\sqrt{-3}]$ is a PID.

Thanks!

Wellcome on MHB javi410!...

Setting $p= 3 n + a$, where it must be $a=1$ or $a=2$, You have...

$\displaystyle x^{2} + 3\ y^{2} = 3\ n + a \implies x^{2} \equiv a\ \text{mod}\ 3\ (1)$

Now the equation (1) has solution only if $a = 1$...

Kind regards

$\chi$ $\sigma$

javi410 said:

You won't be, because $\Bbb Z[\sqrt{-3}]$ is not a principal ideal domain.

Consider $4 = (1 + \sqrt{-3})(1 - \sqrt{-3})$. $2$ divides $4$, but doesn't divide either of $1 \pm \sqrt{-3}$, so it's not a prime. Thus, it's not an unique factorization domain, so cannot possibly be a PID either.

1. What are primes of the form x^2 + 3y^2?

Primes of the form x^2 + 3y^2 are numbers that can be expressed as the sum of a perfect square and three times another perfect square. For example, 7 can be written as 2^2 + 3(1^2), making it a prime of this form.

2. How many primes of the form x^2 + 3y^2 are there?

The number of primes of the form x^2 + 3y^2 is infinite. This was proven by mathematician Leonhard Euler in the 18th century.

3. Can all primes be expressed in the form x^2 + 3y^2?

No, not all primes can be expressed in this form. For example, the prime number 5 cannot be expressed as x^2 + 3y^2 for any values of x and y.

4. How are primes of the form x^2 + 3y^2 related to other types of primes?

Primes of the form x^2 + 3y^2 are a subset of the Sophie Germain primes, which are primes that can be expressed as 2p + 1, where p is another prime number. They are also related to Gaussian primes, which are primes of the form a + bi, where a and b are integers and i is the imaginary unit.

5. What are some real-world applications of primes of the form x^2 + 3y^2?

Primes of the form x^2 + 3y^2 have applications in coding theory and cryptography. They also have connections to number theory and algebraic geometry. Additionally, these primes have been used in the study of quadratic forms and quadratic reciprocity.