Can mentors be PM'd for feedback on interventions?

• Thread starter UsableThought
  • Start date
In summary, this mentor opened a locked thread, made a comment, and then re-locked the thread. When the person trying to PM him tried to do so, they received an error message.
UsableThought
I just ran into a situation on a forum (which I will handle separately by reporting it) in which a mentor opened a locked thread, made a comment, and then re-locked the thread. I had a concern about that comment & attempted to PM this mentor (that is, start a conversation), only to discover that he cannot be PM'd - at least by me. The error message didn't say why.

I've had no problem PM'ing mentors and/or mods before and it has always been a helpful mechanism.

Maybe this mentor has conversations blocked or partially blocked in his profile settings? It seems to me that this shouldn't be the case for any mentor if they are going to be doing interventions that people may have questions about.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
What was the exact error message and where did it occur?

mfb said:
What was the exact error message and where did it occur?

This is it with the member name blocked out; it appears when the send button ("Start a Conversation") is clicked:

Error.png

I don't know if this is what the mentor is doing, but it is possible with privacy settings to prohibit anyone but those you follow from starting conversations with you:

privacy.png

Last edited:
Interesting. Immediately after reading this thread I coincidentally encountered a thread that had recently been closed, followed by a mentors comment in a new post (thread still closed now) and just for grins I tried to PM that mentor and found there there was no "start a conversation" link/button to do so. I agree with this OP. Mentors should leave PM open. Just my 2 cents, which I do not hesitate to share.

Likes Bystander
Does it work now?
phinds said:
Interesting. Immediately after reading this thread I coincidentally encountered a thread that had recently been closed, followed by a mentors comment in a new post (thread still closed now) and just for grins I tried to PM that mentor and found there there was no "start a conversation" link/button to do so. I agree with this OP. Mentors should leave PM open. Just my 2 cents, which I do not hesitate to share.
Probably the same issue.
Was by accident, should be fixed.

mfb said:
Does it work now?Probably the same issue.
Was by accident, should be fixed.
Yes, the specific circumstance I was addressing is fixed.

Likes berkeman
Yep, accidental oversight is fixed now. Thanks for the feedback. :smile:

berkeman said:
Yep, accidental oversight is fixed now. Thanks for the feedback. :smile:
Oh, you know me. I give feedback whether I know what I'm talking about or not. :oldbiggrin:

1. What is a mentor who can't be PM'd?

A mentor who can't be PM'd refers to a mentor who cannot be contacted through private messaging (PM) on a platform or forum. This could be due to the mentor's settings, preferences, or the platform's limitations.

2. Why would a mentor not want to be PM'd?

There could be several reasons why a mentor may not want to be PM'd. They may prefer to communicate publicly, they may be too busy to respond to private messages, or they may have had negative experiences with PMs in the past.

3. How can I contact a mentor if they can't be PM'd?

If a mentor cannot be PM'd, you can try reaching out to them through other means such as email, social media, or public forums. You can also try asking for their contact information from other mentees or through the platform's support team.

4. Is it rude to reach out to a mentor who can't be PM'd?

It is not necessarily rude to reach out to a mentor who can't be PM'd, but it is important to respect their preferences and boundaries. If they have explicitly stated that they do not want to be contacted through PM, it is best to find alternative ways to communicate with them.

5. What should I do if I really want to talk to a mentor who can't be PM'd?

If you really want to talk to a mentor who can't be PM'd, consider reaching out to them publicly or through other means as mentioned earlier. However, it is important to remember that a mentor may have their reasons for not wanting to be PM'd and it is important to respect their boundaries and privacy.