Can Numbers Only be Graphed Using the Z Axis and What are They Called?

These numbers can also be represented graphically using a 3D graph. In summary, imaginary numbers can be graphically shown in a x/y axis graph, with the real component on the horizontal axis and the imaginary component on the vertical axis. There are also numbers called quaternions which require four dimensions to graph, and can be represented using a 3D graph.
thetexan
If I understand correctly an imaginary number can be graphically shown in a x/y axis graph. Are there numbers that can only be graphed by using the third z axis? What are they called?

tex

Mathematics news on Phys.org
thetexan said:
If I understand correctly an imaginary number can be graphically shown in a x/y axis graph.
In the complex plane (also called the Argand plane), the horizontal axis is for the real component of a complex number, and the vertical axis is for the imaginary component. A purely imaginary number is represented by a point directly above or directly below the origin.
thetexan said:
Are there numbers that can only be graphed by using the third z axis? What are they called?
I don't believe so. There are numbers called quaternions that require four dimensions to graph -- one real dimension and three imaginary dimensions. An example of a quaternion is w = 2 + 1i - 2j + 3k, where i, j, and k are imaginary units.

Related to Can Numbers Only be Graphed Using the Z Axis and What are They Called?

What is the Z axis imaginary number?

The Z axis imaginary number, also known as the imaginary component of a complex number, is a number that is multiplied by the imaginary unit, i, to create a complex number. It is represented as z = a + bi, where a is the real component and bi is the imaginary component.

How is the Z axis imaginary number used in science?

In science, the Z axis imaginary number is used to represent and manipulate quantities that involve both real and imaginary components. It is commonly used in fields such as physics, engineering, and mathematics to describe complex physical phenomena.

What is the difference between the Z axis imaginary number and the real number?

The main difference between the Z axis imaginary number and the real number is that the Z axis imaginary number contains an imaginary component, while the real number does not. This means that the Z axis imaginary number can have a real and imaginary part, while the real number only has a single real part.

How is the Z axis imaginary number represented graphically?

The Z axis imaginary number can be represented graphically on a coordinate plane, where the real component is plotted on the x-axis and the imaginary component is plotted on the y-axis. The point where the two axes intersect is the origin, and the complex number is represented by a point on the plane.

What is the significance of the Z axis imaginary number in complex analysis?

In complex analysis, the Z axis imaginary number plays a crucial role in understanding and analyzing complex functions. It is used to solve equations, compute derivatives, and visualize complex functions on the complex plane. Without the Z axis imaginary number, many complex problems would be much more difficult to solve.