Can PF improve these two features for a better user experience?

• Thread starter DataGG
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses two current issues that the speaker dislikes about PF. The first is the "Read more" message that appears when copying content from the site, which the speaker finds unnecessary and annoying. However, the website explains that this feature is in place to ensure proper credit for copied content. The second issue is the prominent placement of the "Login with Facebook" option in the login popup, which the speaker often clicks by mistake. The website owner acknowledges the problem and expresses willingness to improve the feature.
DataGG
Gold Member
Greg Bernhardt said:
At this moment no. Anything is possible in the future.

Well, since you're so interested in improving PF (which is awesome!), I have two things which I currently hate:

1) When one is not logged in, whenever one copies something from PF, we get a message "Read more: https://www.physicsforums.com"... I hate that and it pisses me off! I don't think anyone likes that.. I don't think there's any reason to have this "feature". One already knows about PF, since one is copying something from the site. It's also very easy to delete, so it's not going to avoid copying content and not mentioning PF. So it's basically a nuisance.

2) When log-in in PF, the "Log-in with Facebook" is much bigger and draws way more attention than the normal "Log in"... I hate this.

Likes Greg Bernhardt
Physics news on Phys.org
DataGG said:
Well, since you're so interested in improving PF (which is awesome!), I have two things which I currently hate:

Of course, anytime you have feedback I'd love to know about it

DataGG said:
1) When one is not logged in, whenever one copies something from PF, we get a message "Read more: https://www.physicsforums.com"... I hate that and it pisses me off! I don't think anyone likes that.. I don't think there's any reason to have this "feature".

I do understand. However, first off, why are you ever logging out?? :D

We do this because many many guests will copy content from a discussion without reference back. Obviously it's easy to edit out, but sometimes they forget and PF gets the proper credit. Have a look at this search result

https://www.google.com/webhp?source...f&q="Read more: http://www.physicsforums.com"

DataGG said:
2) When log-in in PF, the "Log-in with Facebook" is much bigger and draws way more attention than the normal "Log in"... I hate this.

On the side bar or in the login overlay popup?

Likes DataGG
Greg Bernhardt said:
I do understand. However, first off, why are you ever logging out?? :D

We do this because many many guests will copy content from a discussion without reference back. Obviously it's easy to edit out, but sometimes they forget and PF gets the proper credit. Have a look at this search result

https://www.google.com/webhp?source...f&q="Read more: https://www.physicsforums.com"

Hum... Indeed.. Would it be possible to disable in the "Science and Math textbooks" section only? I found about that "read more" thing when copying and pasting book titles from PF into amazon or other book sites... I don't know if disabling it in said section would be something you'd want to do?

I don't think there's many people creating blog posts that copy content from the section I mentioned.

Greg Bernhardt said:
On the side bar or in the login overlay popup?

In the login popup. I always click "Login with facebook" by mistake.. I guess I'm going to have to get used to press "Enter" instead.

DataGG said:
Would it be possible to disable in the "Science and Math textbooks" section only?

It is possible and I'll consider it :)

DataGG said:
In the login popup. I always click "Login with facebook" by mistake.. I guess I'm going to have to get used to press "Enter" instead.

Interesting, I'll look at ways to improve this, thanks!

Likes DataGG

1. What is the purpose of providing feedback on two features?

The purpose of providing feedback on two features is to gather information and insights from users about the functionality and usability of these features. This feedback can then be used to improve and enhance the features for a better user experience.

2. How can I provide feedback on two features?

You can provide feedback on two features by participating in user testing, filling out surveys or questionnaires, or directly contacting the developers or product managers responsible for the features. Some companies also have dedicated feedback channels or forums where users can share their thoughts and suggestions.

3. What should I include in my feedback on two features?

In your feedback on two features, it is helpful to include specific details and examples of your experience with the features. This can include any issues or bugs you encountered, suggestions for improvement, and any positive aspects that you appreciated. Providing screenshots or videos can also be helpful in conveying your feedback.

4. How will my feedback on two features be used?

Your feedback on two features will be carefully reviewed and analyzed by the product team. They will use this information to make informed decisions about how to improve and prioritize the features. Your feedback may also be shared with other teams, such as design or engineering, to help inform their work.

5. Will I receive any updates or responses to my feedback on two features?

It depends on the company and their feedback process. Some companies may provide updates or responses to individual users, while others may provide general updates to all users. It is also possible that your feedback may not receive a response but will still be taken into consideration for future improvements.