Can someone explain the iron shavings flux line experiment to me?

In summary, when a magnet is placed under a sheet of paper with iron shavings on top, the shavings distribute according to the shape of the magnetic lines of flux. This is because the magnet's field causes the shavings to become temporary magnets and align with the field, resulting in a net force towards the strongest part of the field. The shavings also experience forces from each other, causing them to form lines. This is a simplified explanation and there are other factors at play.
mpatryluk
In regards to the famous experiment where a magnet is put under a sheet of paper with iron shavings on top, i don't understand why they distribute according to the shape of the magnetic lines of flux. (as seen in the link below)

https://www.google.ca/search?q=iron+shavings+magnetic+field&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=QIuyUuevHubmyQHKhYCgCg&sqi=2&ved=0CAcQ_AUoAQ&biw=1454&bih=738

I'll explain the way I am thinking of it so someone can correct me.

I imagine a magnet as giving off a fixed vector force in all directions, and that the magnitude and direction of the vector at any point is dependent on proximity to the negative/positive poles.

So when you dump the iron shavings over the magnet, i don't understand what causes them to gravitate to these specific lines, and why there would be gaps without shavings between the flux lines.

I imagine the distribution of the iron shavings to be relative to the magnetic vector frce applied to them from where they land.

Physics news on Phys.org
It's quite complicated… The magnetic domains in the filings are dragged partly into line by the magnet's field, making the filings themselves into temporary magnets. Each then experiences a torque tending to align it with its long axis parallel to the field. If the field is very non-uniform, as near the poles of the magnet, the filing will experience a net force towards where the field is strongest, so the magnet's poles tend to get coated with filings - especially if you tap the paper on which the filings are resting. There will also be forces between the (magnetised) filings themselves, tending to make them concatenate into lines.

This answer is quick and misses out a lot. Perhaps its may have some use as a starting point.

Last edited:

1. What is the purpose of the iron shavings flux line experiment?

The purpose of the iron shavings flux line experiment is to demonstrate the concept of magnetic field lines and how they are affected by the presence of a magnet.

2. How does the iron shavings flux line experiment work?

In the experiment, iron shavings are sprinkled on a sheet of paper over a bar magnet. The iron shavings align themselves along the magnetic field lines created by the magnet, creating a visual representation of the magnetic field.

3. What is the significance of the shape of the iron shavings in the experiment?

The shape of the iron shavings in the experiment represents the direction and strength of the magnetic field lines. The shavings align themselves parallel to the field lines, with the density of shavings being greater where the field lines are closer together, indicating a stronger magnetic field.

4. What factors can affect the results of the iron shavings flux line experiment?

The results of the experiment can be affected by the strength and orientation of the magnet, as well as the size and shape of the iron shavings. The type of paper used and any external magnetic fields in the surrounding area can also impact the results.

5. What are some real-world applications of the iron shavings flux line experiment?

The iron shavings flux line experiment is commonly used in physics classrooms to demonstrate the concept of magnetic fields. It also has practical applications in industries such as electronics and engineering, where understanding and controlling magnetic fields is important.