Can someone explain the physics behind maglev trains?

In summary, the movie's model of a maglev train is not accurate, and the actual technology used in maglev trains uses superconductors.]
wendylai
I've done some research on maglev trains, but the equations are too complex for me to solve, etc.

I haven't taken calculus nor studied magnetism yet,
can anybody explain just the basics of physics concepts used in a maglev train?

thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
The track that the maglev rides on is basically a bar magnet , And on the undercarriage of the train they have superconductors with liquid nitrogen in them to cool the super conductor so it will allow the magnetic field from the track to induce a current in the superconductor, and this flow of electrons will create a magnetic field in the opposite direction to levitate the train.

This is a cool video on a little maglev train and superconductors.

Last edited by a moderator:
Is that really so? I though the track of a maglev was a high conductance metal in which eddy currents are induced by an alternating field in the vehicle coils. The resulting force (Lenz's Law) is repulsive, which is what you want. Small changes in the phases of the support coils can also generate forward of backward forces. Google Laithwaite, maglev and linear motors etc.

The (impressive) superconducting model in the movie is not representative of normal maglev systems. There is just not enough capacity for superconductive cooling to run a 'real' train... Yet.

I could be wrong but i swore i read somewhere that some of them had superconductors in them . And they absolutely have maglevs of what you described .

this talks about the superconducting maglev train.
http://reference.findtarget.com/search/JR%E2%80%93Maglev/

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes. Superconductors may be used, sometimes, in the coils of electromagnets to allow huge currents to be used for achieving the high magnetic fields - but it's not just in the 'passive' arrangement of induced currents in a superconducting block over a permanent magnet, as in the movie.

I have never come across the sort of large permanent magnet arrays which would be needed to scale up the little model. The induced currents in a practical system are more likely to be in the rail.

1. How do maglev trains float above the track?

The maglev train uses electromagnetic forces to levitate above the track. Electromagnets on the train and the track repel each other, creating a cushion of air that allows the train to float.

2. What powers the movement of maglev trains?

The movement of maglev trains is powered by linear induction motors. These motors use electromagnetic fields to push and pull the train along the track.

3. How fast can maglev trains travel?

Maglev trains can reach speeds of up to 375 miles per hour, making them one of the fastest modes of transportation.

4. Are there any safety concerns with maglev trains?

Maglev trains are considered to be very safe because they do not have physical contact with the track, reducing the risk of derailment. Additionally, the trains have sensors that can detect any potential hazards or abnormalities on the track.

5. How much energy do maglev trains use?

Maglev trains are known for being energy efficient. They use about one-third of the energy that traditional trains use, making them a more environmentally friendly option for transportation.