Can someone explain this summation definition to me?

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of the definition of a limit to determine the area under the graph of a given function. The notation for this definition involves a summation with a starting point and a function evaluated at certain points within a given interval. The confusion arises from the notation and understanding of the starting point for the summation. Ultimately, the correct expression for the area is determined by evaluating the function at the appropriate points within the interval.
CookieSalesman
A=limn→∞Rn=limn→∞[f(x1)Δx+f(x2)Δx+...+f(xn)Δx]

Consider the function f(x)=4√x, 1≤x≤16. Using the above definition, determine which of the following expressions represents the area under the graph of f as a limit.

I knew the correct answer was [tex]\sum \frac{15}{n} (4√x+\frac{15i}{n}) [/tex]

I figured out most of this, but the only thing I don't get is how you figure out is basically since you start the sum from i=1 to n, that you have to shift the sum up. If i=0, then I think there would be no "1+" term, right?
But let's say it was... i =5 to n. I have no idea why, or where you would put the added terms in order for the sum to work. I thought that it would be outside of the function 4√x but inside of the summnation, because, well, you're just adding values, right?
I don't see or understand intuitively why 1+ would go inside of 4√x.Similarly, I got this right but didn't understand the idea.
A=limn→∞Rn=limn→∞[f(x1)Δx+f(x2)Δx+...+f(xn)Δx]

Consider the function [tex]f(x) = \frac{ln(x)}{x}[/tex],3≤x≤10. Using the above definition, determine which of the following expressions represents the area under the graph of f as a limit.

Of course, the answer was Δx and [tex]\frac{ln 3+\frac{7i}{n}}{3+\frac{7i}{n}}[/tex], but just like above, wasn't sure why the [tex]\frac{ln3}{3}[/tex] went there. I thought if anything, it should be an added term, not mixed up with the main fraction.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
The area is

$$\lim_{n\rightarrow\infty}\sum_{i=1}^n \dfrac{b-a}{n}\mathrm{f}\left(a+i\dfrac{b-a}{n}\right)$$

The function values are determined by dividing the interval into equal parts. a+i(b-a)/n are the points that that divide the interval evenly.

Thanks, I understand that, but just about the notation- Do you mean to say f(x)? And the X being all the stuff in parentheses?

But sorry, I have another confusion- if a is on the inside of those parentheses, isn't A the starting value? Then why, for example is the answer for that lnx/x one not the A value from, 3≤x≤10, which would make it 3, right? Instead of ln3?

CookieSalesman said:
Thanks, I understand that, but just about the notation- Do you mean to say f(x)? And the X being all the stuff in parentheses?
I'm pretty sure he didn't mean f(x) or he would have written that. To understand what that notation means, try it out with a simple function like f(x) = x2 and an interval [0, 2].

See what you get with, say, n = 4. The summation will have 4 terms.
CookieSalesman said:
But sorry, I have another confusion- if a is on the inside of those parentheses, isn't A the starting value?
a is the left endpoint of the interval.
CookieSalesman said:
Then why, for example is the answer for that lnx/x one not the A value from, 3≤x≤10, which would make it 3, right? Instead of ln3?
This doesn't make much sense, so I don't know what you're asking.

CookieSalesman said:
But sorry, I have another confusion- if a is on the inside of those parentheses, isn't A the starting value? Then why, for example is the answer for that lnx/x one not the A value from, 3≤x≤10, which would make it 3, right? Instead of ln3?
It would have been clearer with parentheses. You should have written
$$\frac{\ln \left(3 + \frac{7i}n\right)}{3 + \frac{7i}n}$$ which I hope you recognize as ##f\left(3 + \frac{7i}n\right)## when ##f(x) = \frac{\ln x}{x}##.

Related to Can someone explain this summation definition to me?

1. What is a summation definition?

A summation definition is a mathematical representation used to calculate the total of a series of numbers. It is often written as Σ (sigma) followed by the expression to be summed, and the range of values to be included.

2. How do you read a summation definition?

A summation definition is read as "the sum of..." followed by the expression to be summed, and the range of values to be included. For example, Σ (i=1 to 5) of i would be read as "the sum of i from 1 to 5."

3. What is the purpose of a summation definition?

A summation definition is used to simplify complex mathematical expressions and calculate the total of a series of numbers. It is commonly used in calculus, statistics, and other branches of mathematics.

4. How do you solve a summation definition?

To solve a summation definition, you need to plug in the values of the range into the expression and add up the results. For example, Σ (i=1 to 5) of i would be solved by substituting 1, 2, 3, 4, and 5 into the expression and adding the results together.

5. Are there different types of summation definitions?

Yes, there are different types of summation definitions such as infinite summation, double summation, and partial summation. These types vary based on the expression and range of values used in the summation.