Can someone help me figure out how much torque I need

In summary: At a 1:1 gear ratio you need a motor with a1137 watt output or 50,000ft*lbsAt a 1:2 ratio you need 567 watts or 25000ft*lbs
Rodrigrows Org
Hello I am new to site and need some help building a big mixer similar to picture the problem i have run into is i need to know what size motor and gear reducer box i need for this application i need to find out how much torque it takes to spin the paddle wheel when fully loaded the the weight of my material is 10,500 lbs my paddle is 5 ft in diameter 14 feet long and I need this to spin at 15-20 rpm can anyone help me with equation for this thanks. http://www.robinrents.com/stow-paddles.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Is there anything similar you can compare it with? Such as a concrete mixer? Otherwise I suspect you might have to make a series of smaller prototypes to scale, measure the torque and power required and extrapolate.

With mixing being such a key process in industry I'd guess there's been considerable research done, have you checked unit operation textbooks?

There must be a lot of variables.. viscosity, size and shape of the paddle, clearance between paddle and container..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mixing_(process_engineering )

Many of the equations used for determining the output of mixers are empirically derived, or contain empirically-derived constants. Since mixers operate in the turbulent regime, many of the equations are approximations that are considered acceptable for most engineering purposes.

It goes on to reference the "North American Mixing Forum sponsored Handbook of Industrial Mixing".

Last edited by a moderator:
And 2.5ft instead of the 7ft i wrote

Attachments

• 1423892697409.jpg
    1423892697409.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 516
MullaTheMech said:
And 2.5ft instead of the 7ft i wrote
Yes your picture is exactly what I am trying to build.

billy_joule said:
With mixing being such a key process in industry I'd guess there's been considerable research done, have you checked unit operation textbooks?
yes i have the problem is no one make a mixer in the size I am making its either much smaller or much bigger.

I am a complete newbie who makes tons of mistakes. someone check my work!

at a 1:1 gear ratio you need a motor with a1137 watt output or 50,000ft*lbs
at a 1:2 ratio you need 567 watts or 25000ft*lbs
I don't know how to incorporate the rpm in this formula.

Attachments

• 1423897198571.jpg
    1423897198571.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 537
Last edited:

1. What is torque and why is it important?

Torque is a measure of the rotational force applied to an object. It is important because it is a key factor in determining the acceleration and speed of rotating objects, as well as the amount of work they can do.

2. How can I calculate the amount of torque I need?

To calculate the required torque, you will need to know the force applied to the object and the distance from the point of rotation where the force is applied. The torque can be calculated by multiplying the force by the distance.

3. What units are used to measure torque?

Torque is typically measured in newton-meters (N·m) in the metric system and pound-feet (lb·ft) in the imperial system. Other units such as kilogram-force meters (kgf·m) and inch-pounds (in·lb) may also be used.

4. What are some common applications of torque?

Torque is used in a variety of applications, including engines, machines, and tools. It is also important in sports, such as cycling and weightlifting, where it is used to measure the force and power of an athlete's movements.

5. How can I ensure I have enough torque for my project?

The amount of torque required for a project will depend on the specific details and requirements of the project. It is important to carefully consider all factors and consult with experts if needed to ensure that the correct amount of torque is applied for the desired outcome.