How to Solve Complex Euclidean Geometry Proofs?

In summary: Sorry, I must have missed that. In summary, the participants discussed two geometry problems, one involving a tricky figure and the other involving the exterior angle theorem. They shared helpful hints and resources, and eventually solved both problems. One participant mentioned the importance of knowing geometry in mathematics.
Ameer Bux
Poster has been reminded to use the HH Template and show their work

Homework Statement

write the proof

Homework Equations

none

The Attempt at a Solution

I've tried 5 times, got nowhere

Attachments

• FullSizeRender.jpg
    FullSizeRender.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 690
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Ameer Bux:

Problem 7 is tricky because the figure is not drawn in a manner consistent with the statements about it. You might find it helpful to redraw it so that SB is a diameter of the circle ABC. At least that's how I interpret the text:"SB bisects ABC."

Problem 8 is easier. I suggest you look up
Read about proposition 1.32.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Buzz

Likes Ameer Bux
What do the numbers (1&2) in the diagram indicate? Are all angles labeled 1 supposed to be equal?

Likes Ameer Bux
Buzz Bloom said:
Hi Ameer Bux:

Problem 7 is tricky because the figure is not drawn in a manner consistent with the statements about it. You might find it helpful to redraw it so that SB is a diameter of the circle ABC. At least that's how I interpret the text:"SB bisects ABC."
I think it might mean that line SB bisects angle OBC. Here's a picture drawn to scale assuming that:
geometry.jpg

Last edited:
Likes Ameer Bux
@Ameer Bux I have verified that the figure should look like I drew in the post above with SB bisecting angle ABC. As a hint towards a proof I would remind you that angles on circles that subtend equal arcs are equal.

Likes Ameer Bux
mfig said:
What do the numbers (1&2) in the diagram indicate? Are all angles labeled 1 supposed to be equal?

Ameer appears to have disappeared, which is annoying enough. But to answer your question, looking at his second picture, I think when he as a 1 and 2 at vertex A that it is a very awkward notation where it would have been much better to call them A1 and A2. Similarly the 1 and 2 at vertex R refer to angles better notated as R1 and R2. So all those 1's and 2's are different. Awful notation in his pictures.

Likes Ameer Bux
Buzz Bloom said:
Problem 8 is easier. I suggest you look up
Read about proposition 1.32.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Buzz
Buzz, do you have an argument for problem 8? I don't see it and I have my doubts it is even true. And I don't see proposition 1.32 at that link. ??

Likes Ameer Bux
LCKurtz said:
Buzz, do you have an argument for problem 8?
Hi LCKurtz:

Thank you for noting my error. Somehow I read the handwritten question as referring to R1 rather than B1. Sorry for my carelessness. Just another of my senior moments.

LCKurtz said:
And I don't see proposition 1.32 at that link. ??
From the link:
... the term "exterior angle theorem" has been applied to a different result,[1] namely the portion of Proposition 1.32 which states that the measure of an exterior angle of a triangle is equal to the sum of the measures of the remote interior angles.​

Regards,
Buzz

Hi Buzz. I wasn't trying to point out errors though, I'm really wondering if his Problem 8 is true. So I was hoping you had a proof. I can't figure out a proof and I drew what I consider to be a reasonably accurate figure which leads me to believe it may be false.

Likes Ameer Bux
LCKurtz said:
Hi Buzz. I wasn't trying to point out errors though, I'm really wondering if his Problem 8 is true. So I was hoping you had a proof. I can't figure out a proof and I drew what I consider to be a reasonably accurate figure which leads me to believe it may be false.
Maybe I am missing something but it looks quite easy.
I sent details to Buzz in a private conversation, but for some reason it would not let me add you as a recipient. You must be in a higher astral plane. I thought it premature to post what might be a solution to the thread.

@Ameer Bux , what do you know about opposite angles of a quadrilateral whose vertices lie on a circle?

Last edited:
Likes atom jana and Ameer Bux
Ameer Bux said:

Homework Statement

write the proof

Homework Equations

none

The Attempt at a Solution

I've tried 5 times, got nowhere
For the first problem, the theorem which states that equal arcs subtend equal angles on a circle is applicable.

Likes Ameer Bux
Hi guys, thanks a lot for the help. I've solved both problems. I am going to post the solutions later to this thread. Much appreciated

atom jana said:
For the first problem, the theorem which states that equal arcs subtend equal angles on a circle is applicable.
I really have to learn geometry. I look foolish with a math degree without knowing geometry

atom jana said:
You mean like what was mentioned in post #5?

LCKurtz said:
You mean like what was mentioned in post #5?
Yes, I see you had already mentioned it.

1. What is Euclidean geometry?

Euclidean geometry is a branch of mathematics that focuses on the study of points, lines, angles, and shapes in two and three-dimensional space. It is named after the ancient Greek mathematician, Euclid.

2. What is the difference between Euclidean geometry and non-Euclidean geometry?

Euclidean geometry is based on five postulates, including the parallel postulate, which states that through a point not on a given line, there is exactly one line parallel to the given line. Non-Euclidean geometry, on the other hand, does not follow this postulate and can have multiple parallel lines through a point not on a given line.

3. What are the basic elements in Euclidean geometry?

The basic elements in Euclidean geometry are points, lines, and angles. Points are represented by a dot and have no size, lines are represented by a straight path that extends infinitely in both directions, and angles are formed by two intersecting lines.

4. What are the main types of angles in Euclidean geometry?

The main types of angles in Euclidean geometry are acute, right, obtuse, and straight angles. Acute angles are less than 90 degrees, right angles are exactly 90 degrees, obtuse angles are greater than 90 degrees, and straight angles are exactly 180 degrees.

5. How is Euclidean geometry used in real life?

Euclidean geometry is used in many practical applications, such as architecture, engineering, art, and navigation. It helps us understand and measure the relationships between shapes and objects in our physical world.