Can someone kindly double check my heat and energy problem?

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of instant cold packs to treat athletic injuries, which contain solid NH4NO3 and a pouch of water. When squeezed, the pouch breaks and the solid dissolves, causing an endothermic reaction and lowering the temperature. The final temperature in a cold pack with 50.0g of dissolved NH4NO3, 125ml of water, and an initial temperature of 27.5 Celsius can be calculated using the equation q = m x c x dT, resulting in a final temperature of approximately 5.5 Celsius due to the positive ΔH value indicating an endothermic reaction.
hockeyfan

Homework Statement

Instant cold packs used to treat athletic injuries contain solid NH4NO3 and a pouch of water. When the pack is squeezed, the pouch breaks and the solid dissolves, lowering the temperature because of the endothermic reaction

NH4NO3(s) + H2O(l) ---> NH4NO3(aq) dH = 25.7 kJ

What is the final temperature in a squeezed cold pack that contains 50.0g of NH4NO3 dissolved in 125ml of water? Assume a specific heat of 4.18J/g*C for the solution, an initial temperature of 27.5 Celsius, and no heat transfer between the cold pack and the environment.

Homework Equations

Equation I used: q = m x c x dT

The Attempt at a Solution

My steps:
1) 50.0g NH4NO3 / 80.02g NH4NO3 = 0.625 moles NH4NO3
2) 0.625 moles NH4NO3 x 25.7 kJ = 16.1
3) 16.1 x 1000 = 16058 for q
4) 125ml --> 125g via density. 125g + 50.0g = 175 total g.
4) Plug in numbers into equation: 16058 = 175 x 4.18 x (Tf - 27.5) *Unsure about this part
5) 16058 = 731.5 Tf - 20116.25
6) 16058 + 20116.25 = 731.5 Tf
7) 36174.25 / 731.5 = Tf
8) 49.45 Celsius. So... I'm pretty certain cold packs aren't suppose to get hot, or they would be called hot packs (haha). On a more serious note I really want to figure this out. Help please!

Physics news on Phys.org
Positive ΔH means reaction takes energy from the outside, not gives it away.

In other words: sign convention.

So, I change 16058 to -16058, follow the same process, and I receive an answer that's approximately 5.5. Is this correct?

At least it SOUNDS correct.

Your approach and calculations seem correct. The final temperature of 49.45 Celsius does seem unexpected for a cold pack. One thing to consider is that the heat of dissolution of NH4NO3 is not the only factor affecting the temperature change in the pack. Other factors such as the heat capacity of the pouch and the rate of heat transfer between the pack and the environment may also play a role. It is also possible that there may be some experimental error in the temperature measurements. I would suggest double checking your calculations and also considering these other factors when trying to explain the unexpected result.

Related to Can someone kindly double check my heat and energy problem?

1. How can I double check my heat and energy problem?

To double check your heat and energy problem, you should carefully review all the steps you took to solve the problem. Make sure you correctly applied any relevant equations and units. Additionally, you can ask a colleague or professor to review your work for any errors or inconsistencies.

2. What are some common mistakes to look out for when double checking my heat and energy problem?

Some common mistakes to look out for when double checking your heat and energy problem include using incorrect units, forgetting to account for all the sources of heat or energy, and making calculation errors. It's also important to make sure you are using the correct values for any constants or variables.

3. Can I use a calculator to double check my heat and energy problem?

Yes, you can use a calculator to double check your heat and energy problem. However, make sure you are using the correct order of operations and inputting the correct values. It's always a good idea to double check your calculations by hand as well.

4. How can I ensure that my heat and energy problem is accurate?

To ensure the accuracy of your heat and energy problem, make sure you are using reliable sources for any values or equations. Double check all your calculations and make sure they are consistent with the given information. If possible, compare your results to known values or ask for feedback from someone with expertise in the subject.

5. What should I do if I am still unsure about my heat and energy problem after double checking?

If you are still unsure about your heat and energy problem after double checking, it may be helpful to seek guidance from a professor or tutor. They can provide additional clarification and help you identify any potential errors in your work. It's also important to practice and review similar problems to improve your understanding of the concepts involved.