Can Steel Replace Concrete Plynths for Vibration Absorption in Motor Support?

In summary: You should be able to find quite a bit of information on either topic by doing a quick google search.In summary, a work term student has been asked to see if it is feasible to replace concrete plynths with steel in order to dampen vibrations. The student is looking for information on vibration absorption. Active mass dampers, passive vibration isolators, semi-active isolators, etc. are all possible solutions. Tuned mass dampers are the best solution because they have a zero amplitude vibration. The student has been referred to a study done by Brewer Engineering and Stephen Crandall at MIT. The study looked at the effectiveness of tuned vibration absorbers on a power plant fan.
adpr02
Hi,

So I'm on a work term during a semester off at school (Mechatronics), and have been asked to see if it is feasible to replare some concrete plynths with steel. These are used to support a motor and, possibly, some excentrically rotating masses.

My problem is that I don't really know where to begin. I took a vibrations course back in 2nd year but I don't recall going in depth with vibration absorbers. Is there any material you guys can point to that would be useful in this application? Any advice is welcome.

Cheers

Engineering news on Phys.org
If you give some more details I can help you. There are many types of vibration absorption. Active mass dampers, passive vibration isolators, semi-active isolators, etc.

Does the machine run at constant speed, or does the speed vary?

Machine runs at constant speed (well, minus for the start-up/shut-down which is not frequent)

For vibration isolators, the simpler the better. I don't think active damping would be considered.

I was looking into designing the supports for the machine to be Tuned Mass Absorbers. I cannot find much literature on them, though. I basically just know that you want to design the natural frequency of the absorber to equal the forcing frequency. Currently it sits on large and tall (meters high) concrete plynths to ensure that no vibration problems will ever present themselves.

Not sure how much info I can give out, but what would make it easier for you to help, Fe? This is more of a little side project I picked up 'cause it's interesting (and most likely not see frution), but I don't want to mess with IP.

Look up a study done by Brewer Engineering and Prof. Stephen Crandall at MIT a number of years ago to see a case study on tuned vibration absorbers for a power plant fan (I forget whether it was FD or ID fan). The absorber were installed at the Newington Station and proved to be very effective there. I think this sounds like just what you want.

Submarines need to avoid mechanical vibrations so as to remain harder to detect. I
Googled “submarine vibration damping” and got many possible sources you may find useful.

Here is an overview that I think is worth reading:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acoustic_quieting

Here is an excellent discussion of the engineering problem of active vibration damping, plus five references:
http://web.mit.edu/3.082/www/team1_s02/background.html

For a sinus vibratory force as you have a tuned mass damper, a.k.a a vibration absorber in the form of an added "sping" and mass is usually the best choice.
Here is some basic info:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tuned_mass_damper

The amplitude of vibration of the primary mass (your machine) can be derived to be the following. (assuming lumped 1DOF primary system and lumped 1DOF absorber)

\begin{equation}
\frac{Xk}{F_0}=\frac{1-\omega^2/\omega_a^2}{\left(1+\mu(\omega_a/\omega_p)^2-(\omega/\omega_p)^2\right)\left(1-(\omega/\omega_a)^2\right)-\mu(\omega_a/\omega_p)^2}
\end{equation}

Consequently, to attempt to eliminate the vibration of the promary mass by means of this secondary mass we can design the natural frequency of the absorber to match [itex]\omega[/itex]. From the equation we can see that in theory this makes the numerator zero.
So what you can do is design the absorber to meet some specs.
1) specify a max deflection you would like the absorber to operate at (say 0.2cm)
2) design the linear stiffness of the absorber by [itex] k_a=\frac{F_0}{X_a} [/itex]
where, F_0 is an estimated force your unbalanced machine creates (you can try to measure this)
3) the last parameter of the absorber is mass, this can be obtained through [itex] m_a=k_a/\omega^2[/itex]. where omega is the operating speed of the unbalance vibration.

You now have a vibration absorber which can be further detailed and experimented with on the equipment and possibly further improved.

Cheers,

Another thought as I re-read your OP.
and have been asked to see if it is feasible to replare some concrete plynths with steel. These are used to support a motor and, possibly, some excentrically rotating masses
If you must repair the support beams than the best solution to your problem is to design the beams such that they suppress the vibration absolutely. The second best option is the above TMD (tuned mass damper). Basically what you need is the vibration spectrum of the equipment. Some force vs. frequency data. Then you can design the supports such that none of the vibration "gets through" them..

What do you mean by them suppressing vibration absolutely?

I mean the supports can be designed to let no vibratory force through without using a TMD. The literature on both of these topics is not scarce. The methodologies are also well developed.

Got to do a bit more work on the problem between actual work. I calculated all of the loads and determined where the vibration is coming from. There's one thing that I can't understand for the life of me... and it's making me feel like I'm missing something very basic.

I'm trying to prove to myself analytically that the concrete supports work (they obviously do in real life). I'm assuming that the theory behind their construction is that the natural frequency of the foundation should be larger than the forcing frequency (I read about 2x or more). Using this equation I was able to calculate the amplitude ratio of the concrete design:

Amplitude ratio = actual amplitude/free amplitude = (w^2/w_n^2)/ sqrt((1-(w^2/w_n^2))^2+(2cw/w_n)^2)

Now I estimated the plynths as blocks and estimated their spring constants as EA/l (combining F=k*dL and E= F/A/dL/L). Calculated their mass as A*l*rho. Thus, the natural frequency is sqrt(E/(l^2*rho).

This is all good for concrete as I get a very small amplitude ratio of around 0.008.

However, I get an even smaller amplitude ratio when using steel and the same method of finding spring constant. I doubt this is the case in real life as I read in studies that introducing steel reduces stiffness and lowers natural frequency to the forcing frequency.

I know I'm making a bunch of big assumptions (concrete is elastic at this point, spring constant calculation, damping is very small, solid block supports for steel & concrete, etc) but what am I missing/messing up?

Edit: Thinking about it, this result might actually be okay (but useless). I am assuming that the steel was just a solid block. Obviously, this isn't how it'll be constructed. I need to learn about supports now, and how to determine equivalnet mass & spring constant.

Last edited:
However, I get an even smaller amplitude ratio when using steel and the same method of finding spring constant.

Are you assuming a huge solid piece of steel? If so this would cause huge error. One huge block of steel, wow.

There is likely to be a couple c-channels or I beams that make up the structure. Their elasticity is going to be made up of their components.

Also, concrete doesn't abide by the same modulus rules as steel (or any metal). If you want something accurate you need to look up concrete design.

Why are you doing this if the concrete works fine.

And don't forget about the steel within the concrete..

1. What is vibration absorption and why is it important?

Vibration absorption is the ability of a material or structure to reduce or dampen the effects of vibrations. It is important because vibrations can cause damage, discomfort, and noise in various systems and structures, and minimizing their effects can improve safety, efficiency, and overall performance.

2. What are some common sources of vibration and how do they affect structures?

Common sources of vibration include machinery, vehicles, wind, earthquakes, and human activity. Vibrations can cause fatigue in materials, loosen connections, and create noise and discomfort in structures.

3. How do engineers and scientists measure vibration absorption?

Engineers and scientists use various methods to measure vibration absorption, such as accelerometers, strain gauges, displacement sensors, and frequency analyzers. They can also use mathematical models and simulations to predict the behavior of materials and structures under different vibration conditions.

4. What are some materials and techniques used for vibration absorption?

Materials commonly used for vibration absorption include rubber, foam, and viscoelastic materials. Some techniques for reducing vibrations include adding dampers, isolating structures from the source of vibration, and designing structures with specific resonance frequencies to minimize the effects of external vibrations.

5. How can vibration absorption be improved in existing structures?

Vibration absorption can be improved in existing structures by retrofitting with vibration-dampening materials, adding dampers or isolators, and implementing design changes to reduce the resonance frequency. Regular maintenance and monitoring of the structure can also help identify and address any potential vibration issues.