Can Subgroups Form a Group by Union Without Containing Each Other?

In summary, the conversation is about a request for help in solving three questions related to group theory. The first question asks for three subgroups of a group G that can form the entire group without any one subgroup being a subgroup of the union of the other two. The second question asks if the group (R,+) is finitely generated. The third question is still under construction and will be posted in a separate topic. The OP has been asked to show some work or thoughts before receiving help.
Mathelogician
Hi all,
Here i ask the fisrt serie of questions i couldn't solve;
A basic knowledge of group theory is supposed for solving them!
------------------------------------------------------------

1- Can you find 3 subgroups H, k and L of a group G such that H U k U L = G ;and no one of the 3 subgroups is a subgroup of the union of the other 2 subgroups { e.g., H is not a subgroup of (k U L) } ? ... [ In a simpler case assume that G is finite and |H|=|k|=|L|=|G|/2.]2- Is (R,+) finitely generated? Why?

3- let A,B<G and G be a finite group such that AB is not equal to AB. Then show that |G|>= |A|+|B|.------------------------------------------------------------
Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
This topic is still under construction...

I have asked the OP to show some work or thoughts, and to create a new topic for the third question, so I ask that everyone wait until this has been completed before giving help.

Once the topics are completed, I will delete my post.

Thank you.

Related to Can Subgroups Form a Group by Union Without Containing Each Other?

1. What is group theory?

Group theory is a branch of mathematics that studies the properties and structures of groups, which are sets of elements that follow a specific set of operations.

2. What are the basic properties of a group?

The basic properties of a group include closure, associativity, identity element, and inverse element. Closure means that the result of combining any two elements in a group is still within the group. Associativity means that the order in which operations are performed does not change the result. The identity element is an element that, when combined with any other element, results in that same element. The inverse element is an element that, when combined with another element, results in the identity element.

3. What are some examples of groups?

Some examples of groups include the integers under addition, the set of all permutations of a finite set, and the set of all invertible matrices under matrix multiplication.

4. What is the order of a group?

The order of a group is the number of elements in the group. It is denoted by |G|, where G is the group.

5. How is group theory used in other fields of science?

Group theory has applications in various fields such as physics, chemistry, and computer science. In physics, group theory is used to describe symmetries in physical systems. In chemistry, it is used to understand molecular structures and reactions. In computer science, it is used in cryptography and coding theory.