Is the Golden Ratio Integral to Solving Trigonometric Integrals?

In summary, the conversation discusses an interesting integral involving the Golden Ratio, where the integral can be evaluated using the Taylor expansion of $\arcsin x$ at $x=0$. The integral can also be extended to include $\arcsin^2 x$ and can be evaluated using the Taylor expansion of $\arcsin^2 x$ at $x=0$. The conversation also provides an example of evaluating the integral for a specific value.
Shobhit
Here is an interesting integral, which I would like to share with you:

Show that

$$
\begin{align*}
\int_0^{\frac{\pi}{2}}\sin^{-1}\left( \frac{\sin x}{\phi}\right) dx&= \frac{\pi^2}{12}-\frac{3}{4}\log^2 \phi
\end{align*}
$$

where $\phi$ is the Golden Ratio.

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Let $ \displaystyle I(a) = \int_{0}^{\pi/2} \arcsin (a \sin x) \ dx $ for $|a|<1$.Then $ \displaystyle I'(a) = \int_{0}^{\pi/2}\frac{\sin x}{\sqrt{1-a^{2} \sin^{2} x}} \ dx = \int_{0}^{\pi/2} \sin x \sum_{k=0}^{\infty} \binom{1/2+k-1}{k} (a \sin x)^{2k}$

$ = \displaystyle \sum_{k=0}^{\infty} \frac{\Gamma(k+1/2)}{\Gamma(k+1) \Gamma(1/2)} a^{2k} \int_{0}^{\pi/2} \sin^{2k+1} x \ dx = \sum_{k=0}^{\infty} \frac{\Gamma(k+1/2)}{\Gamma(k+1) \Gamma(1/2)} a^{2k} \frac{2^{2k}}{2k+1} \frac{(k!)^{2}}{(2k)!}$

$ \displaystyle = \sum_{k=0}^{\infty} \frac{\Gamma(2k) \Gamma(1/2) }{2^{2k-1} \Gamma(k) \Gamma(k+1) \Gamma(1/2)} a^{2k} \frac{2^{2k}}{2k+1} \frac{(k!)^{2}}{(2k)!} \frac{k}{k} = \sum_{k=0}^{\infty} \frac{(2k)!}{(k!)^{2}} a^{2k} \frac{1}{2k+1} \frac{(k!)^{2}}{(2k)!}$

$ = \displaystyle \sum_{k=0}^{\infty} \frac{a^{2k}}{2k+1} = \frac{\text{arctanh} \ a}{a}$ And $\displaystyle I(a) = \int \frac{\text{arctanh} \ a}{a} \ da = \frac{1}{2} \int \frac{\ln(1+a)-\ln(1-a)}{a} \ da = \frac{1}{2} \Big( -\text{Li}_{2}(-a) + \text{Li}_{2}(a) \Big) + C $

where the constant of integration is zeroSo $\displaystyle \int_{0}^{\pi /2} \arcsin \left( \frac{\sin x}{\varphi} \right) \ dx= \frac{1}{2} \Big( -\text{Li}_{2} \left(-\frac{1}{\varphi} \right) + \text{Li}_{2} \left( \frac{1}{\varphi} \right) \Big) = \frac{1}{2} \Big( \frac{\pi^{2}}{15} - \frac{\ln^{2} \varphi}{2} + \frac{\pi^{2}}{10} - \ln^{2} \varphi \Big)= \frac{\pi^{2}}{12} - \frac{3 \ln^{2} \varphi}{4}$

Last edited:
Very good RV! :)

Nicely done, RV! (Heidy)

I didn't have to differentiate inside of the integral.

I could have used the Taylor expansion of $\arcsin x$ at $x=0$.
$ \displaystyle I(a) = \int_{0}^{\pi/2} \arcsin (a \sin x) \ dx = \int_{0}^{\pi /2} \sum_{n=0}^{\infty} \frac{(2n)!}{(n!)^{2} 2^{2n} (2n+1)} \ (a \sin x)^{2n+1} \ dx$

$ \displaystyle = \sum_{n=0}^{\infty} \frac{(2n)!}{(n!)^{2} 4^{n} (2n+1)} a^{2n+1} \int_{0}^{\pi /2} \sin^{2n+1} x \ dx = \sum_{n=0}^{\infty} \frac{(2n)!}{(n!)^{2} 2^{2n} (2n+1)} a^{2n+1} \frac{2^{2n}}{2n+1} \frac{(n!)^{2}}{(2n)!}$

$ \displaystyle = \sum_{n=0}^{\infty} \frac{a^{2n+1}}{(2n+1)^{2}} = \chi_{2} (a) = \frac{1}{2} \Big( \text{Li}_{2}(a) - \text{Li}_{2} (-a) \Big)$

You can do something similar for $ \displaystyle \int_{0}^{\pi /2} \arcsin^{2} (a \sin x) \ dx $ by using the Taylor expansion of $\arcsin^{2}(x)$ at $x=0$You'll get that $ \displaystyle \int_{0}^{\pi /2} \arcsin^{2} (a \sin x) \ dx = \frac{\pi}{4} \sum_{n=1}^{\infty} \frac{(a^{2})^{n}}{n^{2}} = \frac{\pi}{4} \text{Li}_{2}(a^{2})$Then, for example, $ \displaystyle \int_{0}^{\pi /2} \arcsin^{2} \left( \frac{\sin x}{\sqrt{2}} \right) \ dx = \frac{\pi}{4} \text{Li}_{2} \left( \frac{1}{2} \right) = \frac{\pi^{3}}{48} - \frac{\pi}{8} \log^{2} 2 $

1. What is "Integration Challenge"?

"Integration Challenge" is a scientific competition that challenges researchers to integrate and synthesize findings from various fields of study to address a complex problem or question.

2. What is the goal of "Integration Challenge"?

The goal of "Integration Challenge" is to promote collaboration and cross-disciplinary thinking in the scientific community, ultimately leading to innovative solutions to complex problems.

3. How are winners chosen in "Integration Challenge"?

Winners in "Integration Challenge" are chosen by a panel of judges based on the quality of their integration and synthesis of research, as well as the originality and significance of their findings.

4. Can anyone participate in "Integration Challenge"?

Yes, "Integration Challenge" is open to all scientists and researchers, regardless of their field of study or career stage. Collaborative teams are also encouraged to participate.

5. How can I get involved in "Integration Challenge"?

To get involved in "Integration Challenge", you can either form your own team or join an existing team. You can also attend the final event to learn from the winning teams and network with other participants.