Can the Limit of a Function Exist Despite Contradictory Values?

• Thread starter Dank2
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Proof
In summary: However, for the sake of practice and understanding, i wanted to try a different approach using a proof by contradiction.In summary, the conversation discusses a proof that the limit of the function limx-->1 1/(x-1) does not exist. A contradiction is shown by assuming the limit L exists and setting ε = 1, but it is later proven directly using the definition of a limit.
Dank2

Homework Statement

Proof that the limit of the function below doesn't exists.
limx-->1 1/(x-1)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Lets assume that limit L exists.
So if (1) 0< |x-1| < δ then (2) |1/(x-1) - L| < ε

at the book they gave an example by giving a value to ε.
put ε = 1. then showing a contradiction by giving two δ values to x.

but now I am thinking about what values can i put that satisfy (1) that for them |1/(x-1) - L| < 1 doesn't hold.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Maybe if ε = L/2

then if i put x1= δ/2+1, x2 = -δ/2 +1 both of them satisfy (1)
then i get for (2)
|δ/2 - L| < L/2, and |-δ/2 - L| < L/2 δ>0
and we can see that |-δ/2 - L| < L/2 doesn't hold. and that is contradiction, and therefore the limit doesn't exists.

now i see i haven't shown that L ≠ 0, because ε > 0.ε = δ/2, looks like it would work now. since δ >0.

|δ/2 - L| < δ/2, and |-δ/2 - L| < δ/2

and in all cases of L, L>0, L<0. L=0 there are contradictions.
and therefore there is no limit.

Last edited:
Dank2 said:

Homework Statement

Proof that the limit of the function below doesn't exists.
limx-->1 1/(x-1)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Lets assume that limit L exists.
So if (1) 0< |x-1| < δ then (2) |1/(x-1) - L| < ε

at the book they gave an example by giving a value to ε.
put ε = 1. then showing a contradiction by giving two δ values to x.

but now I am thinking about what values can i put that satisfy (1) that for them |1/(x-1) - L| < 1 doesn't hold.
Instead of a proof by contradiction, why don't you try proving this directly? Looking at the graph of f(x) = 1/(x - 1), it's clear that the limit doesn't exist (in any sense), because ##\lim_{x \to 1^-}\frac 1 {x - 1} = -\infty## while ##\lim_{x \to 1^+}\frac 1 {x - 1} = \infty##

If you can use the definition of the limit to prove each of these one-sided limits, that should do the job.

Likes Dank2
Mark44 said:
Instead of a proof by contradiction, why don't you try proving this directly? Looking at the graph of f(x) = 1/(x - 1), it's clear that the limit doesn't exist (in any sense), because ##\lim_{x \to 1^-}\frac 1 {x - 1} = -\infty## while ##\lim_{x \to 1^+}\frac 1 {x - 1} = \infty##

If you can use the definition of the limit to prove each of these one-sided limits, that should do the job.

Sorry, yes you are right, i can do that too.

1. What is "Proof that Lim doesn't exist"?

"Proof that Lim doesn't exist" is a scientific concept that suggests that the concept of "limit" in mathematics and physics may not actually exist in reality.

2. How does this concept challenge traditional theories?

This concept challenges traditional theories by questioning the assumption that there is a finite value that a function or variable can approach or reach.

3. What evidence supports this concept?

There is no concrete evidence that supports this concept, as it is still a theoretical idea that is being explored and debated among scientists and mathematicians.

4. Can this concept be proven?

As of now, there is no definitive proof that "Proof that Lim doesn't exist" is true. It is a theory that is still being researched and discussed.

5. What implications does this concept have on our understanding of the physical world?

If this concept were to be proven, it would challenge our current understanding of the physical world and how we perceive and measure quantities and values in mathematics and physics. It would require a re-evaluation of many fundamental theories and principles.